Chapter 6: First Night

Austin sighed with tiredness as he and Gerald were driving down Lexington Avenue, on the way to the warehouse to clock out. Today, they were put with the most difficult task to repair old pipes at a private home rented by a large family up in Harlem. It took them a long time to finish, but Austin digresses, he's getting paid overtime.

"Phew, that was the worst pipes ever," Gerald said.

"That poor family," Austin agreed. "You can blame the landlord for not paying attention."

"Oh, absolutely," Gerald said. "But you did mighty fine today, the man was very happy with you, knowing right off the bat of what went wrong."

"You can thank all those internships in high school. I haven't been to jobs like that before, you know."

"I keep telling you, kid," Gerald started. "You growing into a big boy now, you gotta start handling the big boy stuff, 'cause jobs like that is gonna come your way," he lectured.

"Oh, no, Gerald, it wasn't a complaint," Austin said. "I actually liked it, I was just saying."

"Good," Gerald nodded. " 'Cause I was about to take this belt off and beat you like you were my son for complainin'."

"Aww, no you won't," Austin warned. "I'm nineteen, I'm too old for that."

"Hey, I got twenty-one years ahead of you, that doesn't stop my pops from giving me an ass whoopin'," Gerald countered.

Austin smiled amusedly. As they approached a red light at 96th Street, by the train station where the 6 train runs, Austin's head shot up when he heard Gerald ask,

"Hey, isn't that the college graduate you be blushin' and gigglin' about? Angelica or something?"

"It's Angela, Gerald," Austin corrected. "And what about her?"

"I think she getting mugged by a man by the 6 train!"

"Where?!" Austin yelled frantically. He then spotted Angie at the train station entrance, trying to restrain herself from a wino's grip, by pounding and kicking him. Suddenly the thug slapped her, making her fall to the ground. Austin's eyes widened like duck eggs, his blood boiling.

Did he just smack her?!

"Aw, hell no, I know he didn't slap that woman!" Gerald yelled.

Without thinking, Austin opened the van door, lept out, and ran towards the son of a bitch that smacked Angie, despite the frantic shouting from Gerald and the car horns blaring. All he heard was buzzing in his ears. It took him sixteen steps to get to him before tackling him to the ground and punching him senseless, while the man swung wildly, engaging in a fist fight, making Angie scream with fright.

Austin heard running footsteps, then felt arms around his waist, pulling him away from the man.

"Austin, come on, don't do this, man!" he heard Gerald yell as Austin thrashed in his grip, while the man licked his wounds and ran off.

While restrained by Gerald, Austin yelled out,

"Yeah, you keep runnin', you rat bastard!"

Gerald finally lets go of him, making Austin rush over to Angie, crouching to her level to check on her.

"Angie, are you alright?" Austin asked gently.

"Oh, Austin, thank God!" Angie wailed, throwing her arms around him while sobbing.

"It's OK, I'm here, we're both together now," Austin whispered soothingly, rubbing her back.

"It was horrible, Austin, I thought he was gonna-"