Chapter Twenty

So, Christmas songs are on the telly (Heart TV Christmas) and I'm not even ashamed to say that I'm sat on my own belting out the words. It's never too early to get into the Christmas spirit :) 

*********

Since the horrible lesson with the pixies, Lockhart had not brought any creatures into the class. Well, not any alive creatures. Instead, he read chapters of his book to us which made the lesson even more boring. He even sometimes re-enacted some of the more dramatic bits. He usually picked me or Harry to help with the reconstructions; so far I had to play a simple Transylvanian villager who Lockhart had cured of a Babbling curse, Harry had to be a yeti with a head cold and I had to be a vampire who had been unable to eat anything until Lockhart helped him. It was all ridiculous and I felt stupid the entire time. 

Luckily for me, this lesson he had chosen Harry to re-enact the passage. I sat at the back of the class with Hermione and Ron, smirking at Harry who was at the front of the class acting like a werewolf. 

"Nice loud howl, Harry - exactly - and then, if you'll believe it, I pounced - like this - slammed him to the floor - thus - with one hand, I managed to hold him down - with my other, I put my wand to his throat - I then screwed up my remaining strength and performed the immensely complex Homorphus Charm - he let out a piteous moan - go on, Harry - hight than that - good - the fur vanished - the fangs shrank - and he turned back into a man. Simply, yet effective - and another village will remember me forever as the hero who delivered them from monthly terror of werewolf attacks."

Utter crap. Harry was panting heavily as the bell rang. Lockhart got to his feet.

"Homework: compose a poem about my defeat of the Wagga Wagga werewolf! Signed copies of Magical Me to the author of the best one!"

Ugh, homework. And I have to write about Lockhart. Yep, I'm defiantly not going to try on this one.

The class began to leave. I stood up and grabbed my bag as Harry returned to us. He looked embarrassed and angry.

"Nice howl Harry," I joke with a smirk on my face. "Remember to make it louder next time"

He glares and playfully shoves me. "Shut up. Are you ready?"

"Wait until everyone's gone," Hermione said, biting her lip nervously. "All right..."

We approached Lockhart's desk, a piece of paper clutched tightly in Hermione's hand. Me, Harry and Ron stood directly behind her. 

"Er - Professor Lockhart?" Hermione stammered. "I wanted to - to get this book out of the Library. Just for background reading." She held the paper, her hand shaking slightly. "But the thing is, it's in the Restricted Section of the library, so I need a teacher to sign for it - I'm sure it would help me understand what you say in Gadding with Ghouls about slow-acting venoms..."

I nod, agreeing with her. "I'm sure it would be very helpful for all of us, Professor"

Kill me now.

"Ah, Gadding with Ghouls!" Lockhart said, taking the note from Hermione and smiling widely at us. "Possibly my very favourite book. You enjoyed it?"

"Oh, yes," Hermione said nodding. "So clever, the way you trapped the last one with the tea-strainer"

"Well, I'm sure no one will mind me giving the best students in the year a little extra help," He said warmly looking at me and Hermione. He pulled out an enormous peacock quill. "Yes, nice isn't it?" he said, misreading the revolted look on Ron's face. "I usually save it for book-signings"

He then scrawled an enormous loopy signature on the note and handed it back to Hermione.

"So, Harry, Bella," Lockhart said as Hermione but the note in her bag. "Tomorrow's the first Quidditch match of the season, I believe? Gryffindor against Slytherin, is it not? I hear you're both useful players. I was a Seeker too. I was asked to try for the National Squad, but preferred to dedicate my life to the eradication of the Dark Forces. Still, if ever you both feel the need for a little private training, don't hesitate to ask. Always happy to pass on my expertise to less able players..."