Chapter Twenty Nine

The double attack on Justin and Nick turned what had once been nervousness into a real panic. Oddly enough, it was Nick's fate that seemed to worry people a lot more. What could do that to a ghost? What terrible power could harm someone who was already dead? There was almost a stampede to book seats on the Hogwarts Express so that students could go home for Christmas. 

"At this rate, we'll be the only ones left," Ron told me, Harry and Hermione. "Us, Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle. What a jolly holiday this is going to be"

I chuckled. "I'd still rather stay here than go home. Facing Malfoy and his goons is a lot easier than facing what I have waiting for me at home"

And that's the sad truth.

Grabbe and Goyle, who always did whatever Malfoy did (like lost sheep), had signed up to stay over the holidays too. But I was glad that most of the students here were leaving. I was tired of people avoiding Harry in the corridors like he was going to sprout fangs or spit poison; tired of all the muttering, pointing and hissing as we passed. I nearly beat the crap of some third year who threw a stone at Harry's head...damn McGonagall from stopping me. 

Fred and George, however, found all this very funny. They went out of their way to march ahead of us down the corridors, shouting "Make way for the heir of Slytherin, seriously evil wizard coming through..."

I would have laughed if I wasn't always in a bad mood.

Percy was deeply disapproving of this behaviour. 

"It is not a laughing matter," he said coldly. 

"Oh, get out of the way, Percy," Fred said. "Harry and Bella are in a hurry"

"Yeah, they're nipping off to the Chamber of Secrets for a cup of tea with Harry's fanged servant," George said, laughing.

And as you may have guessed, the Weasley bitch -oops, I mean Ginny - wasn't happy either. But these days, she never is. 

"Oh, don't," She would wail every time Fred asked Harry loudly who he was planning to attack next, or George pretends to ward Harry off with a large clove of garlic when they met. And let me tell you, that garlic stunk out the Gryffindor Common Room for weeks on end. 

Harry thought it was amusing. It made him feel better that Fred and George thought the idea of him being Slytherin's heir was quite stupid. But, unfortunately, their antics seemed to be annoying Malfoy, who looked sour each time he saw them at it.

"It's because he's bursting to say it's really him," I said knowingly. "You know how he hates anyone beating him at anything, and you're getting all the credit for his dirty work"

"Not for long," Hermione said, in a satisfied tone. "The Polyjuice Potion's nearly ready. We'll be getting the truth out of him any day now."

*

At last the term had ended, and a silence as deep as the snow outside fell over the castle. I found it peaceful, rather than gloomy, and enjoyed the fact that I, Hermione, Harry, and the Weasley's had the run of the Gryffindor Tower, which meant we could play Exploding Snap loudly without bothering anyone, and practise duelling in private. Fred, George, and Ginny (unfortunately) had chosen to stay at school rather than visit Bill in Egypt with Mr and Mrs Weasley. Percy, who hated our childish behaviour, didn't spend much time in the Gryffindor Common Room. He had already told us that he was only staying over Christmas because it was his duty as a Prefect to support the teachers during this troubled time. 

Bullshit. 

Christmas morning came, cold and white. Me and Hermione woke Harry and Ron very early when we burst into their dormitory, fully dressed and carrying presents for them both. I had gone all out this year, my hair fell in loose curls around my shoulders, I had a little makeup on and I was wearing a Mrs Claus outfit. It was a little short and the boots were high, but I didn't care. I liked the way I looked.