Chapter Twenty Four

The news that Colin had been attacked and was now lying in the Hospital Wing had spread through the school like wildfire by Monday morning. Suddenly, the air was thick with rumour and suspicion, most people suspected it was Harry but he was in the Hospital Wing when it happened, others suspected it was a Slytherin. No one knew the truth and that put everyone on edge. I noticed that the first-years were now moving around the castle in tight groups like they were scared they would be next if they went alone. 

Ginny, who I still hated, sat next to Colin in Charms and was very distraught. Fred and George took it upon themselves to cheer her up, and I thought it was pretty funny but Harry thought they were going the wrong way about it. They were taking turns to cover themselves with fur or boils and jump out at her from behind the statues, her face would be picture perfect every time and I found myself having to leave before I burst into uncontrollable laughter. Unfortunately, they stopped when Percy (who was filled with rage) told them he was going to write to Mrs Weasley and tell her Ginny was having nightmares. She's a wuss. 

Yet, Harry seemed to like her. UNBELIEVABLE!

Meanwhile, hidden from the teachers, a roaring trade in talismans, amulets and other protective devices was sweeping the school. People were buying them left, right and centre, trying to do anything to be safe. Neville bought a large, evil-smelling green onion, a pointed purple crystal and a rotting newt-tail before some people in Gryffindor pointed out that he was in no danger, he was a pure-blood and therefore he won't be attacked. Honestly, I just wanted rid of that damn onion. I could smell it in the girls' dormitory!

"They went for Filch first," Neville shuddered, "and everyone knows I'm almost a Squib"

He had a point there.

*

In the second week of December, Professor McGonagall came around like always, taking names of those who would be staying at school for Christmas. Me, Harry, Hermione, and Ron signed her list; we had heard Malfoy was staying, which was very suspicious. Plus, I didn't want to go home and face Renne, Charlie, and their son, Kyle. Besides, the holidays would be the perfect time to use the Polyjuice Potion and try to get a confession out of him. The whole school would be gone so it would easier. 

But there was a downside.

The Polyjuice Potion was only half-finished. We still needed the Bicorn horn and the Boomslang skin, and the only place we were going to get them was from Snape's private stores. I think I'd rather come face to face with the monster in the Chamber than being caught by Snape robbing his office. 

"What we need," Hermione said, as Thursday afternoon's double Potions lesson came nearer. Yes, we had double Potions on a Thursday. It sucks. "Is a diversion. Then one of us can sneak into Snape's office and take what we need"

Me, Harry and Ron looked at her nervously. 

"I think I'd better do the actual stealing," Hermione continued. "You three will be expelled if you get in any more trouble, and I've got a clean record. So all you need to do is cause enough mayhem to keep Snape busy for five minutes or so"

I grinned. Creating mayhem in Snape's lesson on purpose was going to be easy...I hope. 

Potions lessons took place in one of the large dungeons. Thursday afternoon's lesson happened in the usual way. Twenty cauldrons stood steaming between wooden desks, on which stood brass scales and jars of ingredients. Snape stalked through the fumes, making nasty remarks about the Gryffindor's work while the Slytherins sniggered. I wanted to punch them all in the face. Including Snape. Draco, who was Snape's favourite student, kept flicking puffer-fish eyes at Ron and Harry, who knew that if they retaliated they would get detention faster than you could say 'unfair', so I took it upon myself to do so. When Snape wasn't looking, I pulled out the puffer-fish head from the trash bowl and threw it straight at Malfoy. It landed on his head and he shrieked jumping back, I turned around and acted like I didn't do anything. Harry and Ron were trying to control their snickers. 

I noticed that Harry's Swelling Solution was far too runny, and mine wasn't runny enough. Damn it. I added more ingredients whilst waiting for Hermione's signal, and I hardly listened to as Snape paused to sneer at Harry's potion before he added the ingredients to mine. When Snape finally turned around and walked off to bully Neville, Hermione caught mine and Harry's eye and nodded.

I shared a look with Harry and tried to act innocent as Harry ducked swiftly behind his cauldron, pulled one of Fred's Filibuster fireworks out of his pocket and gave it a quick prod with his wand. Wait, why does that sound so dirty? Anyway, enough with the dirty mind Bella! The firework began to fizz and sputter. Knowing he only had seconds, I grabbed Harry making him straighten up and watched as he took aim and lobbed it into the air, it landed right on target. Right in Goyle's cauldron. 

As expected, Goyle's potion exploded, showering the whole class. People shrieked as splashes of the Swelling Solution hit them. Malfoy, to my delight, got a faceful and his nose began to swell like a balloon; Goyle blundered around, his hands over his eyes, which had expanded to the size of dinner plates, while Snape was trying to restore calm and find out what happened. Through the confusion (and dodging the Swelling Solution), I noticed Hermione slip quietly out of the door. 

COME ON HERMIONE!

"Silence! SILENCE!" Snape roared. "Anyone who has been splashed, come here for a Deflating Draft. When I find out who did this..."

Me and Harry tried not to laugh as we watched Malfoy hurry forward, his head drooping with the weight of a nose like a small melon. As half of the class walked up to Snape's desk, some weighed down with arms like clubs, others unable to talk through their huge lips, I saw Hermione slide back into the dungeon, the front of her robes bulging. 

When everyone had taken a swig of the antidote and the swelling had gone, Snape swept over to Goyle's cauldron and scooped out the twisted black remains of the firework. I tried not to smirk as a sudden hush fell over the classroom. 

"If I ever find out who threw this," Snape whispered, "I shall make sure that person is expelled"

I arranged my face into what I hoped was a puzzled expression. Snape was looking right at us, and the bell which rang ten minutes later could not have been more welcome. 

"He knew it was me," Harry told me, Ron, and Hermione, as we hurried back to Myrtle's bathroom. "I could tell"

Hermione threw the new ingredients into the cauldron and I began to sir it quickly.

"It'll be ready in a fortnight," Hermione said happily.

"Snape can't prove it was you," I said reassuringly to Harry. "What can he do?"

"Knowing Snape, something foul," Harry said, as we watched the potion froth and bubble.

***

Longer chapter like I said!

Keep your eyes open for the new book, it could drop at ANY MINUTE!

See you all in the next chapter 

-Fan_girl_dreamerx