Chap. 10

"The average on this test was a 74," my math teacher announced, as he passed back our tests. "So obviously you guys didn't grasp the concept. I'm going to offer an extra credit opportunity to those who scored below a 75, and we'll do a brief review these concepts again tomorrow."

I'd studied for hours for this test, and I'd felt quite confident afterwards.

Mr. Trenton placed my test on my desk, facedown. I flipped it over, and my heart stopped in my chest.

52. I'd made an F.

I couldn't remember the last time I'd failed something, or even if I'd ever had.

I wasn't an F student.

The bell rang, and Mr. Trenton waved us off. "We'll talk about the extra credit more tomorrow."

I numbly exited the room, shoving my test into my backpack.

I took a few deep breaths, regaining my composure. One F wasn't the end of the world. And I had a chance for extra credit.

"How'd you do on Trenton's test?" Emmett asked me, joining me at my locker.

"I didn't," I answered, my stomach churning.

"What do you mean?" he asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"I failed it."

The words were bitter.

Emmett raised his eyebrows at me, clearly surprised. "You failed the test?"

"I really don't want to talk about it."

"It's not the end of the world Em," Emmett encouraged, as I shut my locker. "It's one test. And I'm pretty sure it's the only test you've ever bombed."

"I know."

"Well stop acting so distant then."

I rolled my eyes. "I've got to get to class."

"It's just one test," Emmett reminded me. "Right?"

"Right," I agreed, flashing him a half-hearted smile before heading to my next class.

I don't need to be perfect. But remembering that seemed harder than it was in London.

~*~

"Where are you going again?" Emmett asked, opening up the refrigerator.

"The mall with Michelle," I reminded him, for the fourth time.

He reached into his pocket, pulling the out the credit card linked to dad's bank account. "Just to the mall?"

"Yes dad," I said, plucking the card from his grasp.

I used to have one, but mine was revoked after I was hospitalized and my parents found out I'd been using it to buy appetite suppressants.

"Attitude," he muttered, pouring some Gatorade into a glass for himself.

I reached over and took his Gatorade glass, taking a sip. "Thanks Emmy."

"Don't call me that," he muttered, taking his glass back from me. "And you have an entire closet full of clothes, what do you need more for?"

Boys are clueless, I swear.

"The only clothes I have in my size are from London," I said, hopping up to sit on the counter.

"What a shame?"

I rolled my eyes. "Do you work tonight?"

He gestured towards the work uniform he was currently wearing. "No, I just enjoy wearing this."