Chap. 26

"Did you get Lee's birthday present?" I asked Parker, as he came in from his morning run.

"Yeah," he agreed, grabbing a bottle of water from the refrigerator. "It's pretty badass if you ask me."

"Well I didn't."

"The sass is real this morning," he chuckled, taking a swig of his water.

"Well his birthday dinner is tonight and I have no idea what to get him," I complained.

"Sounds like you're in quite the predicament," he laughed, kissing my cheek before heading back towards the shower.

"Jerk," I muttered, before plopping down on the couch.

I picked up my iPad off the coffee table and began to search online for an idea, hoping for something to stick out.

But it didn't.

So I called Michelle.

"I miss you," Michelle complained, answering the phone.

"Oh yes, I'm sure that your resort in the Hamptons must be incredibly miserable," I teased.

"Jerk."

I couldn't help but laugh, propping my feet up on the coffee table. "I need a birthday present idea."

"Whose birthday?"

"Lee Adams."

"I don't even know the kid."

"But you always help me with birthdays," I complained.

"Sorry kid, but you're on your own on this one."

"You suck."

"Love you too," she sang, before hanging up.

I have the worst best friend ever.

I stood up with a sigh, grabbing my car keys and leaving the apartment.

Maybe I'll find my inspiration by roaming the mall.

~*~

"No, do not transfer me," Parker ordered, as I let myself back into the apartment.

He was sitting at the kitchen counter, paperwork spread all across the kitchen and his cell phone pressed to his ear.

"I've been transferred three times now," he informed the person on the line.

I went back to my room and dropped my shopping bag before coming back out to the kitchen, wrapping my arms around Parker.

He turned around in my arms, smiling at me.

And then the smile dropped off of his face.

"Are you kidding me?" he demanded.

I hopped up on the kitchen counter, in one of the spaces void of paperwork, as Parker began to sift through some papers next to the refrigerator.

"I go through this every month," he informed the person on the line. "And it's getting to be ridiculous."

I picked up a piece of paper next to me to try and figure out what was going on.

"I've given you my policy number four times now," Parker informed the person.

It was insurance paperwork littering the kitchen.

"Okay, as I've told you all four separate times now, I need a refill on Lithobid for Lee Adams. And when I went to pick up the prescription, it wasn't covered under insurance, again. As I've said, this happens every single month, and it's getting pretty old."