Maid 1.

"Life is demanding without understanding. I saw the sign and it opened up my eyes." - The Sign, Ace of Base

"I'm broke as hell."

I stared into the black space of my wallet, wondering where all of my money had vanished to. It was possible that someone stole it. I had to make sure that my glasses weren't foggy and that it wasn't just my imagination. Money just couldn't up and walk itself out like that. "You got to be motherfucking kidding me."

I heard a sigh from the left of me and I turned my head, glaring holes into my best friend as he raised a brow. "Before you start digging up your ass and hoping that you got money stored there," He drawled and I folded my arms, my leg twitching and bouncing up and down. "Try to remember that you spent all of your fourteen dollars on dinner last night, Ez." Travis Walker shook his head, prompting me to remember that I was conned and forced to go out on the town for a mouth to eat. "You tiny-balled motherfucker, you tricked me!" That was the story I was sticking with and nothing was going to change it. Daggone it, how could I let myself be fooled like that? Now I had nothing.

"Ezra, you were the one who said we should go."

My hands started to wave in the air as I spoke rapidly. He was just trying to provoke me. "You know that's not true, Travis! I wasn't in my right mind last night! How dare you use that against me?" Travis turned his brown steely gaze on me once again, truly unbothered and unfazed by my fast pace of words. "Blame yourself for getting into this broke college kid debt," He rolled his eyes and I palmed my face, sighing. He was right. There was just this new restaurant in the city and I was fixin' to go. Nothing was gonna stand in the way of food getting into this belly of mine. "Man, what am I gonna do?" I could feel myself starting to stutter. "I-I-I don't have a job and I can't rely on my parents," I scoffed, thinking of those two heathens.

May they rot.

"I need to pay the rent on my apartment or god knows, what's gon' happen." I stared off into the distance, trying to tell myself to calm down and talk slow. I couldn't even understand myself when I flew off the handle like that. "Maybe I should just become a part-time stripper, Travis," I ran a hand through my brown hair, flicking my blue eyes towards him. "It's becoming an impendent reality and that's my only option." My best friend of three years let out a sharp chuckle, throwing his book bag over his shoulders. "Don't be hasty, Ez," I watched as his perfectly arched brow rose up and I wished that my life was as perfect as his eyebrows.

Why must I be this pitiful?

"Find you a job," Travis motioned to the large scenery of the city of San Antonio, Texas, around us. "There's plenty of jobs and companies around here, just waiting to hire." Travis stared at me skeptically and I scowled. "I don't see why you didn't pay for our dinner last night since it so happens that ya come from a family who gives ya money on the down low." I smoothed out my blue jeans, ignoring the sound of my lisp. I hated it with a passion and I refrained from talking a lot with people I didn't know. I didn't have time for them to call me out on it. "It's okay, though. You're my friend but you don't have to do these things for me," I smiled sweetly with a hint of sarcasm, and Travis flicked me on the forehead.

"Don't be an ass."

He didn't really understand what it was like to live the life of a poor college student. I wasn't poor, let me rephrase. I was just in the need of money, an immaculate, large sum of money and I needed it now. I had tuition to pay, rent to pay, gas to buy, books to purchase, the whole nine.

This seriously was fuckin' with me.

"Motherfucker gotta be kiddin' me." I closed my blue wallet and slid it in my back pocket. The scenery of this beautiful 5th day of October was a sight to my eyes. The sky was out and warming our skin, delighting us with its rays as a cool breeze flew through the air and settled its way on. The smell of flowers and food slapped me in my nose as the beautiful blue sky danced with the clouds. It was just a great day and this just had to be happening to me. "S-S-Shit!" I stuttered, hissing at myself to stop with these tics. It was bad enough that I talked for 97 miles per hour but adding on my lisp just made everything worse.