Maid 26.

"Strumming my pain with his fingers. Singing my life with his words. Killing me softly with his song," Killing Me Softly With His Song, Fugees

"Nishan Remington Lawrence, how could you let this happen?!"

I whistled awkwardly as I shuffled in my seat, fidgeting under the horrified stare of one Eve Lawrence. She wasn't even yelling at me but I still felt reprimanded. I all but dared to look to the left of me to see Nishan looking at her as if he was bored with her waving the magazine of the year around. 

"Please don't talk to me like I'm eleven years old," He drawled with a sigh and I gulped, watching the fire in Eve's eyes ignite even more. This man really had a death wish and I hated that I had to be involved. No, you don't. You enjoyed that kiss as much as he did. I couldn't even deny that insight because that moment was everything that I hoped for, everything that I ever wanted. "Nishan..." Eve growled lowly, narrowing her eyes slowly as if she was trying to gradually kill him with each clench of her eyelids. 

"Mom, I don't get why you're stressing so hard about this," He leaned forward and took the magazine from her hand, exposing the front cover to me. Aw, damn. The front cover was plastered as bright as day with a picture of us kissing in the rain last week. It was raunchy and it was wet, showing that we were clearly into each other. I was so sure that this thing we had between us would've died once he found out, but he was just calm like we were discussing the weather.

I was on the verge of having a mental breakdown when Travis came to me in the bathroom, a brow raised and a copy in his hand. It was bad because that meant that everyone in all of San Antonio, hell, maybe even all of Texas, knew that their precious Chief of Police was into men. It was pretty obvious that it was a dude considering that my face was exposed. "W-what do you mean why am I stressing so hard about this?!" I looked behind her to Leon, who had an unreadable expression on his face as he stared at his son.

This was bad.

This was very bad.

Not only was I risking my job, but he was basically coming out with his sexuality and I had no clue how they felt about that. 

"Why are you not worried?" Natalie piped up from the right of me, looking as gleefully as ever. Nishan shrugged and rolled his mismatched eyes. "It keeps people from thinking I'm single and now I don't have to worry about people throwing themselves at me. Problem solved," He muttered, running a hand through his hair as if this was remotely okay. One, I couldn't deny that what he said was kind of cute and made my heart flutter a little. Two, I had no clue what to say.

"If you're so worried that this will look bad for you all, then I will move off of the estate," Eve sighed exasperatedly, her brown eyes calm and collected as she put her hands on her hips. "Son, we don't want that," Leon began, garnering all attention. "We just wanted to make sure that you knew the consequences of you and Ezra being slandered like this," I knew no one was going to discuss the elephant in the room, but I had to ask. 

"Does that mean that you are okay with us?" I questioned softly and Leon nodded. "It was just only a matter of time, Ezra," He smiled softly and my eyes widened as I caught onto the insinuation. "I don't really care about that, but I just want you to be prepared for what may happen following this," The matriarch pranced the living room, all tension alleviating from the atmosphere. I was still trying to follow along with the fact that they seemed so casual about the idea that I just made out with their son and it was captured and put onto the front cover of a magazine for the whole world to see.

Interesting.

"Some balls you got there, big bro," Natalie chuckled, bouncing Noelani on her lap. "What you getting at, Nat?" Nishan raised a brow, challenging his sister as he unconsciously bumped my knee 20 times in one minute. I would've gotten annoyed, but it just made me feel giddy inside. "Nothing~" She sang before tilting her head at us. "You know, I speak for the entire universe when I say that I saw this coming."