TWENTY EIGHT

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT - THE PROBLEMATIC MILL

Hera had always loved the cold. She loved how the chill air made her cheeks turn a nice rosy colour, and she loved how awake it made her feel. She guessed that was because she had lived in the North her whole life, and hadn't known anything else than the cold.

She always thought that Riverrun would be warm, considering it was closer to the south. She was wrong, because even in Riverrun, her breath still turned into mist when she breathed. She supposed that was because the seasons were changing, and it was slowly, but surely becoming winter.

A thick silence hung in the air, the only thing moving being the waves, which moved slowly against the dock. Hera watched as Robb and Brynden Tully, also known as the Blackfish, pushed Hoster Tully's funeral boat away from the shore, and into the water. From beside her, she could see Lady Catelyn's eyes fill with tears. She frowned at the sight, but didn't do anything to comfort the older woman.

Robb and the Blackfish returned to stand beside them, their eyes locked onto Edmure Tully, who slowly walked towards them with a bow in his hands. He also carried an arrow with him, which he would set fire to, so the boat would burst into flames and Lord Tully's body would burn.

Edmure kept his chin high as he dipped the tip of the arrow into the flames, before placing it in the bow. He aimed it at the boat, before releasing it into the air. It soared through the air, but instead of hitting the boat, it went straight into the water. Edmure visibly turned a shade redder, clearing his throat in embarrasement. He nocked another arrow, before releasing it. However, that one went into the water as well. Even over the wind, Hera could hear him realease a shaky breath. He tried one more time, but that arrow landed in the water as well.

She heard a irritated sigh from beside her, and she just caught sight of the Blackfish rolling his eyes, before he was storming towards Edmure. He nearly ripped the bow out from his hands, before shoving Edmund away, a glare plastered onto his face. The blackfish placed the flaming arrow into the bow, before he looked up towards their house banner, which was moving in the wind. He pursed his lips, before releasing the arrow. Without even watching to see if he hit the target, he turned away and slammed the bow into Edmure's hands, who caught it with a small yelp. The boat lit up in flames, and they all watched as the blazing fire turned smaller and smaller, until it dissapeared from their sight.

*

"If I may nephew, I encountered a situation with one of my lieutenants at the stone mill, which may have some..." Edmure started saying, before the Blackfish sighed in irritation.

"Would you shut your mouth about that damned mill? And don't call him nephew, he is your king!" he exclaimed, pointing at Robb while glaring at Edmure. Robb pretended like he didn't hear it, instead keeping his focus on the river outside the window. Hera frowned from where she stood close to the table, gripping the back of a chair in her hands.