THIRTY

CHAPTER THIRTY - GONE

As Hera held the blade to Lord Karstark's throat, he let out an irritated sigh. "Damn you, woman," he nearly spat. Her emerald eyes narrowed as she glared at him, but she didn't reply, instead she waited for the guards to come.

The other men who accompanied Lord Karstark looked at their Lord nervously, obiviously not wanting Hera to slit his throat. And she wouldn't, as long as they behaved.

The guards soon came, causing Hera to relax slightly. The three guards who appeared skiddled to a stop upon noticing the two boys' dead bodies. They probably didn't expect to practically walk in on a murder. Thankfully, they quickly regained their composure and moved to take the culprits away.

However, Lord Karstark wouldn't let himself be taken down so easily, and before a guard could come close to him, he decided to do whatever he could to get out of Hera's grip. In a rush, he slammed his elbow into Hera's stomach, right into her unborn child. Hera gasped as an immense pain overtook her stomach, and she fell to her knees, Karstark slipping out from her grasp.

No, she thought desperately. Please let the child be okay.

She clutched her stomach, the pain almost becoming too much to handle. "Your grace," one of the guards gasped, before shouting for more guards to come.

Hera didn't care about anything except her child and the pain at that moment. She held her stomach as her vision started to become blurry. The pain was worse than anything she had ever felt, it was like her insides were burning. Eventually, the pain became too much, and she lost consciousness just as more guards entered the cell.

-

It didn't take long for Hera to wake up, and when she did, she was lying on her bed. The first thing she noticed was the sharp pain that shot through her stomach, causing her to hiss in pain. She quickly remembered what had happened, causing her to gasp and clutch her stomach. Was her child okay?

"Hera"

She looked up to see Robb rushing towards her. He sat down beside her on the bed, gripping her hand in his. Maester Qyburn stood behind him, wearing a somber look.

She looked up at Robb with a panicked expression, trying to study his expression. His auburn hair was messy, like he had been dragging his hands through it in distress. His blue eyes were red, and Hera could only guess that he had been crying.

Her breath hitched as she noticed the pained expression Robb wore on his face. "No," she muttered. "Tell me what I'm thinking is wrong."

Robb shook his head, gripping her hand tighter. He took a deep breath to steady himself, but she could see tears welling up in his eyes. That was all the information she needed to know that the child was gone.

She lifted the duvet with a shaky hand, and she wasn't surprised to see the red stains that covered her legs from where they hadn't managed to clean off the blood. Slowly, she let the duvet fall back onto her legs.

To her surprise, she didn't cry. She didn't do anything except stare into the air, and the only thing she felt was Robb's warm hand in hers. She felt the lump forming in her throat, but she still didn't cry. She was still in shock.

"Lord Karstark?" She asked, her voice and face void of any emotion.

Robb's face hardened at the mention of the man's name. "He is held in a cell and will be executed later this evening," Robb explained.

"Good."

Up until Robb had to go to the execution, he laid in the bed with Hera, comforting her as much as he could. He was hurting too, which Hera knew, so she tried to comfort him as well.

Eventually, he left, leaving Hera alone in the chamber. She slowly stood up from the bed, walking over to the window. She wanted to see the murderer of her child die with her own eyes.

The rain was pouring down outside, adding to her sad mood. Maybe the skies were crying for her, feeling her sorrow. The darkness had taken over the courtyard, and she could hardly make out who was who down there.

She gritted her teeth as she spotted Robb and Lord Karstark standing face to face, and she could only guess that Lord Karstark was trying to defend himself. Soon, he kneeled down on the muddy ground, and shortly after, Robb swung his sword and sliced his head right off. She watched as Robb threw his sword to the ground, his posture rigid. Then, he stormed away, leaving Karstark's bleeding body behind.

Hera stared at the dead body, feeling nothing. She was just happy that he got what he deserved. Ideally, she would have wanted to be the one to kill him herself, but she knew the king had to to it.

With a sigh, she wandered back over to the bed where she wanted to sleep for as long as she could. She was so tired and sad that the only thing that seemed tempting at that moment was to escape the world and hopefully dream about something good.

She was close to falling asleep when Robb entered the chamber. She was too tired to watch what he was doing, and she could feel her eyes becoming heavier. Soon, the bed dipped and she felt arms sneak around her waist. She snuggled into Robb's chest with her eyes still closed, and sighed when he kissed her forehead.

Robb played with her hair until she fell asleep, and he admired her face. When she slept, her frown and furrowed eyebrows disappeared, and she looked peaceful. He wanted to remember that look forever. Robb soon fell asleep too, with one thought on his mind. Even though they had lost their child, they still had each other. It was sad, yes, but he also knew that they would have more children in the future. And that thought comforted him.

A/N: I tried to write the miscarriage as accurate as I could, but I don't know that much about it or what it's like, even though I did research beforehand. Hopefully I did it justice.