THIRTY ONE

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE - DEAL WITH THE DEVIL

Hera slowly but surely started to feel better as the days passed. Sure, losing her child left a big rift in her heart that would never heal, but, she knew that she couldn't sulk forever. She needed to be planning the war with Robb and the bannermen, so it was impossible for her to grieve for too long.

That's why she had forced herself to attend a meeting with Robb, Catelyn Stark, Lord Edmure, the Blackfish and a couple of Walder Frey's sons who had come to negotiate with the King in the North. She wanted to be useful, and even if she had to hide her pain to do it, she would.

"Thank you for riding out here so quickly," Robb said while looking at the Frey men seated on the other side of the table. "I know travel isn't easy in these times."

"The roads are crawling with cutthroats and bandits," Black Walder answered, almost bitterly. "But when the King of the North summons us, we come."

Hera glared at the man for his mockery, and she lifted her cup of ale up to her lips and took a gulp of it to keep herself from answering with a remark.

"Our father has instructed us to tell you that his alliance with the North can continue if his terms are met," Lothar continued. "Lord Frey requires a formal apology for your violation of your sacred oath to marry one of his daughters," he drawled as his eyes moved to Hera.

She kept quiet, instead glaring daggers at the table.

Robb quickly nodded. "Of course. He deserves as much. I was in the wrong."

"As restitution for this betrayal, he demands Harrenhal and all its attendant lands," Black Walder said flatly.

All eyes snapped to Robb to see what his answer would be, and Hera instantly noticed that he had tensed.

Edmure Tully was the first to speak. "I don't think that's..."

His words were quickly stopped by Robb, who turned to look at him. "We are fighting for the North," he said sharply. "Harrenhal is not in the North. It is his once the war is over and we have no further strategic need for it."

"There is something else," Black Walder continued.

"We will do whatever we can to give Lord Frey what he needs," Robb quickly responded, looking at both men curiously.

"Not what," Walder said. "Whom." As he said that, his eyes moved to Edmure.

Edmure swallowed the ale he had in his mouth, his eyes wide. "What?" All eyes moved to him, and his own eyes moved between everyone in disbelief. He suddenly started chuckling, like the idea seemed mad to him. "No," he said.