Prologue

I blunder through the woods as fast as I can, trying to shake my persecutors. My body aches with hunger and scars that have been left untreated. Only one thought flashes through my mind. I need to get away. I hear the angry growls of the wolves behind me, the thundering of their paws as they give chase. By now, my hunger is beginning to take its toll, and I start to slow down. I'm sure I'm about to be mauled when I spy a hollow log, just small enough for my lithe figure to fit through. I shove myself into the log, emerging through the other side, not caring about the chunks of fur I lost.

The wind starts to pick up, and the snow falls in big clumps, masking the scent of everything and making it hard to see. Still, I keep running, past the border and into another pack's land. The drumming of paws behind me slows, then halts. "Leave him be." one voice barks. "Let the pack across the border do the job for us." The paws fade into the distance, heading the way they came, and all is silent once more.

I take the time to observe my surroundings. I don't recognize the pack scent and the only things I can make out are pine trees. I can't head back so the only thing I can do is drag myself forwards.

Between the uneven pine floor, strong wind, and heavy snow it isn't long before I trip over a rock and tumble head first down a hill. I sit up, still feeling a little woozy. A sharp pain brings my attention to my leg, which got cut and was now bleeding. I scoop up a pawful of snow and place it on my wound. I sigh in relief as the snow numbs the pain and helps to stanch the bleeding.

An owl hoots in the distance, a reminder that night was quickly approaching. I abandon my resting spot and limp off in search of a place to bed down for the night. It's not long before I manage to seek out a group of rocks, two of which lean in such a way that they form a shelter.

I sniff the entrance cautiously, but there's no scent of any animal. Good. I drag myself in, laying down on what little pine bedding there is. I'm so tired by the day's events that not even the pain of hunger can keep me awake.

***

I wake to pawsteps near my resting caven. Who is it? I try to sit up, only to flop back down with a whimper of pain. The pawsteps outside stop, then head this way. I've been found.

Soon after, a dominant looking alpha male strides into the cave. He looks at me with disdain and anger. I dip my head in submission. In my weakened state, with a layer of grime and dirt coating my once glowing golden brown fur, a handful of half healed scars, missing fur, and dried blood tangled within the mess, it's pretty clear that I'm not much of a useful wolf. Plus, I'm trespassing.

As the alpha walks closer, clear on its intention to kill me, I close my eyes. "Finish me quickly, please. I don't want to suffer anymore."

I open my eyes a few moments later, confused. Why am I not dead yet? Instead, the alpha lays down in the ground beside me, and with a shudder, morphs into human form. Now before me lies a tall male, with jet black hair and amber tinted brown eyes. His facial features are well carved, and he has a well built body. With the simple black and white outfit he has on, he looks stunning. Of course. Besides being strong, alpha males are known for being incredibly handsome.

The alpha in front of me gives me a determined look. "Shift." he commands. Being naturally submissive, I look at him, and with a crack of my bones, I morph back into a human. My human form is small and lithe, no different from my wolf.

The alpha reaches out and grasps his hand in mine. Suddenly, a wave of warmth surges through me, warming me up and clearing my head. I even feel my leg wound starting to heal a little. There's only one wolf that could possibly do this. Is he my mate? His next words echo my thoughts. "I have finally found you, my beloved mate."

- § -

As promised, it is up! What do you all think of it?

This mainly is just a big book of fluff, with a main, sort of cliche problem...

Hope you'll stick around for that!

Much love,
                   Ali