Part Sixteen

This chapter is just...

I don't really like it?

Eh.

- § -

Beta Jongin stands up. "You two stay here. You're not healed yet."

"No!" My mate objects. "I need to be out there! It's my pack!"

"But you're not h-"

"No! I'm going!"

Yixing gestures to me. "How about you help me treat the injured? That way, you won't tire out."

I nod. I wasn't feeling ready for a battle anyways.

We all dash outside, morphing as our feet hit the earth. I watch my mate leap into battle, and I silently wish him well.

Yixing runs to the left side, leaving me to cover the right. I sneak through the trees that surround the front clearing and look around for any injuries.

A heap of pale yellow fur, covered in blood and barely moving, lies close by. I can tell by the scent that it's one of my packmates, but I can't tell who over the musk of battle and the metallic tang of blood.

Either way, I grab them by the scruff and drag them to a more secluded spot. The injured wolf moans in pain. They're not going to live. The familiar flip in my stomach returns.

"Who are you?"

"Baekhyun, listen." I recognize the voice. No.

"Wait."

"No, just listen. We both know I won't make it out of this alive. Just hear me out."

I stand still, tail waving.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry that we didn't start off on the best of terms. I'm sorry I was so mean to you. I regret that I'll never get to fix that." She sputters, and a thin dribble of blood comes from her parted jaw. "I'm sorry.

"I was jealous. And I know that's no excuse. But that's the truth. I was jealous. I was jealous of your happiness. That you found a mate so quickly. That Alpha liked you so quickly. It took me years to earn his trust. It all seem to disappear as soon as he set his sights on you. He's amazing, and we both know that."

I look over to where my mate is. Chanyeol's crouching low, taking on two wolves on his own.

"But, you would have had a mate of your own."

"No, I wouldn't have. Baekhyun... I'm infertile. I can't take a mate. I can't bear pups. I'll never know what it feels like to be loved." Her eyes flutter.

"I can't bear Alpha pups either. It's not something I'm made to do," I comment wryly.

"But you're his rightful mate. It'll work out in the end." Taeyeon convulses, more red flowing from her wounds. "I don't have much time left." But her eyes aren't scared. They seem almost peaceful. "Tell Alpha that I'm glad to go this way. That I died serving him. That I died protecting you. Tell him that I'm sorry, and that I hope he'll forgive me. I hope you'll forgive me too." Her last words are a whisper.

Her chest stops moving, and her eyes drain of color. She's gone. I touch my nose to her's as a sign of comfort for the first time. And the last time. "I forgive you." The words sound hollow.

A crushing feeling washes over me. I want to cry. I want to sob until I have no tears left.

But I can't. Instead, I carefully pull her body into the woods, covering it with leaves and natural debris.