Part Six

So that's how I find myself trotting in the woods in wolf form after my mate. "Chanyeol! Wait up!" He stops and turns around. I gracefully make the last jump over a rock and join him. He welcomes me with a tail on my flank. I bury my muzzle into his scruff, his heady scent blocking out the world around us. I feel him turn his head as he gives my ear a quick lick. "Come on, I want to show you something." I reluctantly take my head out of his neck and we continue walking, shoulders brushing.

Soon, the trees give way to sand, and the sand to water. A beach. I stare out into the waves, mesmerized by the foaming in and out ripples. I lay down on the sand and shift back. After shifting, Chanyeol joins me in the middle of the sand, giving me a quick kiss as we watch the gulls. After a while, he sits up, I take the chance and place my head into his lap, letting him play with my hair and trace my lips with his fingers. "Yeol, it's really pretty." I say as we watch the sun set.

He cups my chin. "It's not as beautiful as you though."

I allow a faint blush to cover my cheeks. "You're so cheesy." He traces the outline of my lips. "You know you love it."

I give him a lopsided smile. "I do."

I stand up and brush myself off. "Let's head back. It's getting late." Chanyeol gets up slowly. I pout, impatient. "Come on, I'll race you!" And with those words, I'm already running, plunging back into the forest.

I heard Chanyeol yell behind me. "I'm going to get you!" Soon after, I hear the thump of his pawsteps as they thunder along the leaf and needle covered floor. Oh no you don't.

I leap off a rock, morphing in midair and hit the ground running. I recognize most of the territory, but I'm relying on the scent trail from earlier. It takes me back to the front of the pack house successfully. And I don't see or smell my mate anywhere nearby. I let out a howl of triumph. I won!

My howl is cut short as I'm tackled to the ground. I'm trying to struggle out of my attacker's grasp when I catch a whiff of the tantalizing scent. I instantly go slack, letting my mate pin my down on the ground. Chanyeol licks my face and ears, showering me with affection. I roll my eyes casually. "I still won."

Chanyeol licks my face once more before pulling away. "No, I won. Because I have you." He sits down, half on top of me and half on the ground, washing his face with lazy licks.

I bat a paw at his side. "Oh shush, you're being way too cheesy." Chanyeol chuckles and steps off me. I get up and we both morph back.

"But really," Chanyeol continues, "can you not recognize your mate by scent or something? You were flailing around, trying to shove me off."

"Natural instincts," I protest weakly, "and self defense."

Chanyeol puts his hands on my shoulders and whispers in my ear. "I'm just teasing you. To be honest, I would have done the same thing."

He gives me a quick squeeze and unlocks the door to the pack house. I do a double take. We're here already? Time flies.

We step inside and are instantly greeted with the smell of food. Mmm. Kyungsoo's cooking is the best. I follow my nose into the dining hall. My stomach rumbles as I walk inside. Perfect. I pile my plate with various items, making sure to leave enough room for a cookie or two. I sit down at our usual spot, everyone already there except for my mate.

Beta Jongin pesters me with questions. "Where did you two go? I couldn't find Alpha anywhere."

I smile wide as I recall the day's events. "He took me to the beach on the edge of the territory."

"Did you get to see the sunset?" Gamma Luhan chimes in.

"Yeah, we did." A deep voice behind me sends shivers down my spine. Chanyeol sits down next to me and pokes me in the arm. "You. You ditched me for food. I'm disappointed." He fakes a pout.