Part Twelve

You people will hate me for this one...

- § -

Only, I never would have thought it would all come crashing down so soon.

We were out in the woods, playing around and just having a good time when I stopped to admire a patch of flowers, letting Chanyeol go on ahead. As I sniff at the flowers, everything goes black and an excruciating pain shoots though my spine. 'Chanyeol, help me!' I barely have the strength to warn him before I lose consciousness.

Chanyeol's POV

I stiffen at the weak voice in my head. Baekhyun! A sharp pain hits me in the calf and I tumble to the ground. Silver! They're hitting him with silver! An indescribable rage fills me. I snarl out loud, sprinting back to the pack house. No!

As I'm nearing the pack house, a flash of russet fur blocks my path. "Move!" I growl, not caring who it is. If it's not Baekhyun's golden fur, I don't want to see it. The wolf tackles me to the ground and we roll around in the dirt for a while before I pin him down. "What's your problem? Get out of my way!" The wolf underneath me rolls his eyes and kicks me in the stomach, but I can tell he's not aiming to harm me.

"Geez, which flea got under your skin today?" I watch as the wolf shifts back into human form, and my beta helps me stand up. "What's the matter?" My tan subordinate dusts me off.

"Baekhyun's been captured! My mate's gone!" I stomp the ground.

"What? How?"

"I don't know!" I yell, frantic.

"Woah, woah. Calm down."

"You're telling me to calm down!?" I point a finger accusingly at his chest. "How do you think you would react if Kyungsoo was taken!?" I push him up against a tree, letting my anger boil over. I watch as my beta closes his eyes, trying to concentrate. Suddenly, I'm peeled back by none other than Kyungsoo. "Speak of the devil." I mutter.

"What did you just call me!?" Kyungsoo pushes a hand at my stomach, forcing me to sit down. "And how dare you trap my mate against a tree! He's your beta for heaven's sake!" I open my mouth for a rebuttal when Kyungsoo kicks my foot. "No excuses. I know what happened. And don't you dare think that you're the only one who has connections to Baekhyun. We care about him too! We're concerned as well!" He scuffs at the ground. "And where is that Oh Sehun and his deer of a mate?"

I ignore the fact that he's completely crossing the etiquette lines. This guy has a temper.

"Do Kyungsoo! Calm down!" Beta Jongin grabs his mate and shakes him.

"That's enough Jongin!" They both turn their heads, surprised by my harshness. Now is not the time for titles. "How about instead of trying to calm everyone down, you actually help us think of a way to save my mate!" I'm barely able to restrain myself from tackling the two of them into the ground. "He was getting hit with silver! Silver!" As the words leave my mouth, I double over in coughs. What are they doing to him? It's only when I smell the unmistakable tang of mint that I try to straighten back up, finding myself in Yixing's hold. It's not as comfortable as Baekhyun's.

"Shh, shh," he soothes, "Are you okay?"

I shake my head quite pitifully. My eyes are watering and I swear I can taste blood in my throat. I spit onto the leaf litter, wrinkling my nose at the metallic stench. My Baekhyun...

"And this is where the mate bond isn't so helpful." Yixing sighs in frustration.

"You realize Baekhyun's going through the same thing, right?" I croak helplessly, trying to get rid of the taste of blood.