Part Fourteen

"Good news," I answer.

"Bad news," Gamma insists.

"Oh, stop being so negative. Kyungsoo, just tell us what it is."

"Erm... I found Baekhyun..."

"And..." I prompt.

"Gamma Luhan was sort of right."

Gamma wrinkles his nose. "What? What did I say?"

"I mean, he isn't tied up in a burlap sack, but yeah. He's been stuffed in the rock cleft over here and has some sort of a silver dropping gadget above him. It's dropping little bits of silver on his bare skin." Kyungsoo shudders.

"Wait, what happened?" Sehun and Beta run over.

Gamma snorts disapprovingly at his mate. "Glad you showed up."

I shake my head. Same.

"You're glad I showed up?" We hear as leaf bits crunch underfoot. The five of us turn around to see Junmyeon and our Alpha. Junmyeon continues, "I thought we weren't meant to be here."

I stare blankly at my mate. Really?

Chanyeol's POV

I lean against a rock. "Have you found him? Please tell me you have." I look left and right. "Why are there leaves here? We're standing in a clearing." I cough again.

"We've found him." Kyungsoo shifts back and states blankly.

"Really?" I straighten up. "Where is he?"

Kyungsoo sighs. "Just stay here while we get him out." He ducks into the rocks. The others shift and follow after. Junmyeon stays out here with me. Yixing as well. I watch as the two of them heal each other and exchange sweet words. I look away, giving them a bit of privacy.

A few long agonizing minutes later, Kyungsoo's head pops back out. Followed by Gamma Luhan, and then Sehun. My mate's broken body is held between them. His clothes are torn, and his shoes are missing.

No. He's not dead. He's not dead. The mate bond isn't broken. I can still feel it. I remind myself.

"It's okay. He's still alive." Sehun glances at me sympathetically. "We just need to get him back to the pack house."

Yixing looks up. "I can't really help him without supplies. You could try using the mate bond though." He surveys us while playing with his mate's fingers. "Where our beta?"

Kyungsoo shakes his head. "He's in there, dismantling the silver thing."

"What silver thing?" I walk over to my mate and kneel down.

"Nothing. It doesn't matter now."

"Tell me."

"Later. We have enough to worry about now as it is."

I turn my attention back to my mate. I hear the others shuffle away, giving me a bit of solitude.

"Baekhyun." I place my hand carefully on the angry red burn that had formed on his pale skin. He jolts weakly, and a groan leaves his parted lips. I sigh in relief as I watch the redness fade under my palm until only a faint pink mark remains.

"He's mainly exhausted. Other than that, he should be fine." Yixing gently touches Baekhyun's shoulder. "You did very well in staying awake."

"Baekhyun." I murmur again. I just want to say his name. I run a hand through his hair, gently removing the twigs and leaves that had tangled themselves into his golden locks.