Part Ten

Short-ish chapter. :l

- § -

Baekhyun's POV

I'm lying on my back on the bed, reading something on my phone. Chanyeol's quietly playing with my hair. I feel his fingers as they fall through my locks.

We had both washed up already, and I'm dressed in the night pants that Gamma Luhan gave me, but I swapped out the complimentary shirt for one of Chanyeol's tees. It's comfy, and it smells like him.

A knock on the door startles me out of my daze, the same time as my phone pings with a message. I leave the message on standby, rolling off of the bed and strolling to the door. I hear Chanyeol hum questioningly as he watches me.

I swing open the door, already knowing who it is. "Beta Jongin!" I greet him cheerfully.

"How is he doing?" Beta Jongin lowers his voice, eyeing Chanyeol carefully.

I pick at my top. "It's hard to say," I murmur back.

"Baekhyun? Beta Jongin? What's going on?" Chanyeol comes over to us and wraps an arm around my waist. "What were you talking about?"

I sigh. He should probably know. I unlock my phone, opening up the messages between Beta Jongin and I. I scroll up and then pass my phone over to Chanyeol. "Read them."

Chanyeol chews on his lower lip as he skims our conversation from earlier. "Look. I'm perfectly fine right now. It'll be okay."

I look at him, unconvinced. "Really?"

Chanyeol glances between me and Beta Jongin. "Really."

"Chanyeol I-"

Beta Jongin looks between the two of us. "You know what, I'll go now. Text me once you two come to a conclusion." And once again, the door slams shut. Argh!

"Chanyeol," I start softly, "I still think you should take a break. At least one day. You're still a bit unstable."

Chanyeol's eyes glisten. "Are you saying that I'm incapable?" His voice cracks.

"No l-" I pause, rephrasing my response, "I'm just concerned, alright?"

Chanyeol looks down. "Maybe there's such a thing as too concerned." He looks back up. "Do you not trust me?" He looks utterly broken.

I'm stunned. Do you not trust me? Do you not trust me? The words play in my head again and again. His expression doesn't waver. "I...I'm...er...um..." I stutter.

Chanyeol waves his hand. "It's okay, I understand." He looks as if he's dismissing me. No. I clutch my chest, a wave of pain surging over my heart as he turns away.

"No, Chanyeol I-"

"Really, it's fine."

I stay silent. But it's not.

Chanyeol shakes his head. "It's getting late. We should sleep." He walks over to our bed and lifts up the sheets, climbing in and tucking them back around him.

I slowly let out a breath, pulling my phone back out.

'I don't care what Chanyeol says, you're taking over tomorrow.'

I spot the red dot next to Kyungsoo's name. Oh, so that was him. I click open the message and look at the picture he sent me. Of his mark.

I remember the promise I made him that day. Right. I better learn how to draw it, and collect the key tomorrow. I look back over at Chanyeol, who has his back to me. I hear his steady breathing, telling me that he's asleep. I'm slightly disappointed. He didn't wait for me.