Part Eighteen

Here's an update to make up for the one I missed last week! <3

- § -

In front of the entrance, I see most of the pack crowded around a figure on a stretcher. I push through the crowd and gasp at what I saw. My mate, bloody and bruised, covered in leaf bits and dirt. He was unconscious, and the only thing that told me he was alive was the weak rise and fall of his chest.

I look at our mark on his neck, a symbol of our undying love for one another. It wasn't grazed, seemingly the only part that wasn't. How could this have happened? It was only a morning patrol. A group of medics carries Chanyeol down the medical hallway, and out of the crowd. I dash after them, not being able to bear the thought of leaving him.

Yixing pulls me aside, "Look, he's lost a lot of blood. You won't be of any help."

I close my eyes, the tears beginning to fall. "So connect him up to an IV drip!"

Yixing grabs my shoulders. "We can't." My gaze hardens. "What do you mean, can't?"

Yixing sighs. "Sit down, it's a complicated matter." We sit on the floor, backs against the wall as he begins. "Okay, so basically, Alpha comes from a long line of alphas, he's a direct descendant of the alpha of the First Pack. He has alpha blood, and nobody else has it, except..." he trails off.

"Except who?"

Yixing looks me in the eye. "Except you."

"Me? But how? I'm no alpha."

Yixing smiles sadly and points to my mark. "The old legend about mating is true, your mate give you a part of him to carry around wherever you go. So you carry the genetic information for it too."

I place my head in my hands. "So, is there anything you can do with it?"

Yixing scratches his nape. "Well yes, but it would require the removal of your mark."

At this point, I don't even care what the cost is, I need to save him. If not for me, for the rest of the pack. They deserve an alpha like him. "I'll do it."

Yixing puts up a hand. "Wait, you need to know wh-"

I stand up, "I don't care, I'm doing it."

Yixing pulls me back down. "Well I'll tell you anyways." He takes a deep breath and starts softly. "You do know it's going to hurt a lot right? Mark peeling used to be used as a form of torture and punishment for mated wolves. At first, it's just agony, but then you start hallucinating, and when you're completely stripped of your mark, you lose all the memories along with it."

I take a couple deep breaths. "You mean, I won't remember Chanyeol?"

Yixing shakes his head, "Not exactly, you'll only know him as the alpha of your pack, nothing more, nothing less. He'll remember though."

My heart aches at the thought of forgetting my beloved mate. All the time we spent together will be gone. How could I forget? "Will the memories be gone forever?"

Yixing sighs "Until he marks you again. And even then it's not guaranteed." He clasps my hand. "Still want to do it?"

"You won't be able to persuade me not to."

"Come on then."

I let him lead me to a surgery room. "Can't you sedate me or something?"

Yixing shrugs as he cleans the needle. "It won't work if I do." He turns around. "Lie down on your side, mark up." I comply and Yixing holds the needle over my mark. "You sure you want to do this?"