Prologue: Broken

I'm falling apart, I'm barely breathing
With a broken heart that's still beating
In the pain there is healing
In your name I find meaning
~Broken ~ Lifehouse~

...July 4, 2016...

"This is no time for you to resign," Kaldur scolds, following beside his friend.

"I'm not resigning," Dick responds, turning to him. "Just... taking a leave of absence. Besides, if you need help Barbara is more than ready to step up."

The two look to the girl a little ways in front of them on the Watchtower computer.

Kaldur looks back to Dick. "Agreed, but Dick–"

Dick cuts him off. "I need a break, Kaldur. You, me, Wally, we... we founded this team... without him... without Aura, without Jason... I just need time to myself..."

Kaldur heaves a sigh. "I understand."

"If you really need me, I'll find you," Dick reassures, placing a hand on Kaldur's shoulder.

"Dick, just... after Aura and Jason died, you fell victim into a horrible state. Worse than the way Roy was in. I just do not want to see you in that state again. Promise you will not."

"I promise."

That promise would be broken. As he later disappears without anyone knowing where he went.

~~~

After Batman's speech about the Watchtower being shared between the two teams and Kaldur giving out orders, Dick leaves the mission room and heads straight for the memorial garden. Hoping to be the only one there, he spots the red suit of Flash with his hood down staring up at Wally's hologram. He moves to stand beside him.

"I've already lost a niece, and now I've lost a nephew, both of which were basically my kids." He looks to Dick. "I guess I shouldn't be so selfish. You've lost a lot more than I have." He looks up at Jason Todd's memorial before looking back to the deceased speedsters. "I just can't help but think. Who's next?" Barry sniffs, wiping his nose with his sleeve. "Iris? Bart? ...Me? ...My kids?"

"All we can do is hope it never comes to that," Dick voices.

Barry lets out a shaky sigh. "Hope just isn't enough nowadays..." He gives Dick a hug, wishing that the person he was hugging would be his partners. "I just... wasn't fast enough... I'll... see you around..." Barry pulls his hood back over his face and speeds out the room.

Dick moves to sit in front of the two deceased speedsters, looking up at their faces. He lets out a long sigh. "I know I promised you, Aura, that this wouldn't change anything, but I've lost too many loved ones to let it not. You... Wally, Jason... I just can't deal with this anymore. I have to, need to go for awhile. I promise I will come back but only if I'm absolutely needed..."

...July 8, 2016...

Dick gets a few of his belongings together. Mainly clothes. He moves to the photograph he keeps beside his bed. He picks up the photo and looks at it as he does everyday.

 He picks up the photo and looks at it as he does everyday

"That was a fun day," he mutters. "You spiked my hair saying I'd look cool. I looked ridiculous..."

He gently sets the picture frame on the top of his clothes in his suitcase. He takes the Robin scarf she made him on top of the picture for protection. He takes the few bags he packed and makes his way down to the Batcave.

"So, you're really leaving?" Barbara speaks up.

"Sorry, Babs."

"No, I get it," she says. "You need this. You need to go."

"You gonna tell us where you're going?" Tim asks.

"No," Dick says. "I need this time completely alone."

"Oh, I wish you would stay," Alfred says.

"I wish I could," Dick sighs, releasing his suitcases.

Barbara moves up to him and gives him a tight hug. "Be safe." She gives him a quick kiss on the cheek before backing away and moving to the computer to work. She shoves Bruce out of the seat and towards Dick then takes the chair.

Dick moves to hug Alfred.

"You better not get take out all the time or I'll find and drag you back here by your ear, Master Dick."

Dick chuckles as he hugs him. "I'll try to eat as healthy as possible." He backs up. "I'll miss your cooking for sure."

Dick hugs Tim and ruffles his hair up before separating. "You help Kaldur lead and keep Bruce in check."

Tim gives a sorta grin. "I will."

The two leave Dick and Bruce to chat. Bruce and Dick had a big fight because he didn't think that Dick should leave.

"I loaded up the jet for you to take. It'll drop you off wherever you want to go before it leaves to come back here an hour after you land," Bruce says.

"Thanks," Dick nods, taking his stuff and moving towards the jet.

Barbara gets up with a cough and shoves Bruce with Tim's help towards Dick.

"Dick," Bruce speaks up in defeat, shuffling closer.

"Yeah?" Dick turns back to him on the ramp of the jet.

"I'm sorry," Bruce apologizes. "I understand why you're doing this. Wish I could be better at this, but I'm not. Take care wherever you may go."

Dick sets his bags back and runs down to give Bruce a hug which takes awhile for him to return. Dick lets him go and enters the jet, wiping his eyes on his sleeve. The ramp closes behind him as he gets into the pilot seat. The jet takes off to the place he was planning but hundreds of miles from the actual destination. He hooks his baggage onto his motorcycle after deactivating and taking off all the trackers Bruce put on it. Bruce will never change in having to know where everyone is after Jason. Dick locks up the jet then disappears into the night on his motorcycle.

~~~...~~~
Very short. Yes, I know.
Wanted to publish the first chapter on my birthday!