At the campsite

I hold Zaks hand tightly until I couldn't hold it any stronger. He noticed it after also taking a moment to admire the sight. "You ok love? Why is your grip so strong?" He questions me and I turn to him with a sad smile. "I remembered this is the place me and my mom used to grill and hang out at every now and then... Brings back memories, so to say." He gives me a sympathetic look laced with hints of concern. "Want to talk about it? I actually have some questions regarding this matter."  I keep looking at him, "Sure, I guess." and sight after my statement. He gives me a face of uncertainty and asks if it's okay to ask some questions and I assure him it's fine. 

We sit down on the bench, facing eachother

We sit down on the bench, facing eachother. "So ask away." I tell him, mind quite vacant of thoughts. "Okay, um.. I haven't seen your parents. I haven't heard anything about them or from them. It has been one of the things on my mind recently. Did something happen to them?" Averting my gaze from the addicting view I notice as the sun stops shining. It gets slighty colder but I pay no more mind to it. "Well, I'm surprised you asked this late into our relationship. Basically what happened to my parents is one hell of a story." I pause, taking in a deep breath. "Just a while before you waltzed into my life, my parents had divorced. They had some fights about who should take custody over me, since they had the divorcing papers all set and ready for court. In the end after negotiations with me and my grandparents we decided that I get the apartment to myself as long as I take care of it and so on. Now, the reason why my grandparents couldn't take care of me was because they lived and still live a few countries away from me. It might not make a load of sense but then again I'm already legally of age to own an apartment so I ended up with my parents one. They took their things but left some stuff for me as well. They visited me every now and then, but never together." I pause and look around, spacing off yet remaining alert in case Zak has something to say. About  a minute goes by and I look at him. He nods for me to keep going; I continue. "Every time they met one another when I was there I felt tension. But it wasn't anger. In fact, it was sadness. Perhaps this heavy guilt or hate they brought upon themselves. I didn't understand why til one day dad explained to me why he felt the way he did. He has a new wife and mom has had some boyfriends over the years. Dads wife had asked if he had kids and he said he has a daughter. Yet every time they brought me up he'd say he didn't want to discuss that topic too long. He felt guilt, remorse and sadness for causing pain in my life after seeing me grow up and be witness to so many things I had gone through and seen or felt. His intention was never to hurt me or mom, but things just didn't work the same anymore. Mom's side of the story is about the same. My side is those two combined... On the last day before they both moved away we had a talk about the times we shared. The memories and things we now own or have lost overtime... " I sigh heavily, look down and at this point all my happiness is gone. My shoulders seem as if  someone sat on them, they're hanging low like my head. I look at my hands on my lap and keep going. "And eventually, we all cried. Some of us more, some of us less. It felt like all the years we'd worked for the family had been broken. I think I speak for all of us if I say that our united world had broken apart into separate ones. Not so big, warm, welcoming and home-like anymore I suppose... Nowadays we meet even less thanks to all of us being busy and so on... I really wish all that was just a nightmare and that one day I'd wake up, find mom, dad and tell them about it, just so they could assure it was a bad dream I had and that I shouldn't be afraid of the family ever falling apart.." At this point I got reminded of the pain again. As I silently weep I try to speak. "I just.... I just wish all the pain was a lie and that truth wouldn't be so hurtful..." After 10 or so minutes I've regained some of my composure.