one.

When You Lose You Gain

It was the last day of school before summer break started and the first period of the day was maths. I wouldn't say I was bad at maths but I definitely wouldn't say I was good. History was my forte and probably the only class that I considered an easy "A".

Staring down at the textbook with confusion, I felt a slight tugged on my hair. Choosing to ignore it I went back to the question until I felt another tug on my hair, this time much harder. There sat Gretta with a piece of my hair wrapped tightly around her fist.

Gretta and I had always been close friends. That was until her crush Henry Bowers asked me out and not her. I politely declined and Greta saw that but lately she has been meaner.

"Is something wrong?" I already knew the answer, the smug grin on her face usually meant one thing.

"The girls and I have decided that we don't like you so you can't hang out with us." Gretta's grin only grew wider with each word. Tears stung my eyes and threatened to fall but I knew that's what she wanted. Instead I replied with something I regret saying. "That's fine. I'll just go tell Henry I have changed my mind." I knew what was coming next, endless amounts of bullying.

Gretta didn't bother me again til the end of class. On her way out she slammed my head against the desk which resulted in the teacher shouting at me for disrespecting school property.

"Are you okay?" An unfamiliar voice behind me asked. I turn around to find Eddie Kaspbrak looking at me with sympathy.

"Other than loosing friends and becoming number one on Gretta's hit lest then yes I am okay." I ranted, letting out a fustrated groan. "Look, I'm sorry I've had a rough start to one of every school kids favourite days, the last day before summer."

"It's fine. I noticed that you officially have no friends meaning you don't have anyone to sit with at lunch." Once he said that I swear I was going to punch him. "You can come sit with my friends and me at lunch."

"Really? The Losers Club?" To say I was shocked would be an understatement. I was bewildered.

"Yes. I don't have any other friends." Eddie awkwardly looked around the empty classroom before looking at me once again. "We have history before lunch. See you then?"

"Oh, yeah. Sure."

•∆•

Lunch came faster than I expected and Eddie was leading me outside to a table surrounded by the rest of the Losers. What if they don't like me? What if they plan to get Gretta on me? Eddie must have noticed the sudden fear written all over my face.

"They'll like you. I swear." Those small words of encouragement helped drage those few steps closer to the table. As we neared all heads turned and all eyes were on me. The sudden attention scared me and my shoes became very interesting.

"This is Lillian. She managed to piss off Gretta and is currently friendless." I gave a slight wave and a small "hi" before sitting down next to Eddie at the end of the bench. Across from me sat a boy with wild curly hair and a cute smile. He must of noticed me staring as he stuck out his hand in a polite manner.

"I'm Stanley Uris, nice to meet you." He introduced himself.

"Lillian Smith." I gave a short but sweet reply while shaking his hand. It was warm and fit perfectly around mine.

"I'll introduce everyone for you." Eddie gave me a quick smile before pointing at a boy sporting an undercut with his bangs in his eyes. "This is Bill." We both smiled at each other before my eyes darted to the next Loser. "And this is Richie, ignore all his sexual comments he just can't stop talking." Richie was small but had the largest glasses covering most of his face.

"I can shut my mouth, but I have to ask are you my homework cause I wanna slam you on my desk and do you all night long." I could feel my face flush red and I had to bite my lip to prevent myself from bursting into laughter. But that didn't work, an unflattering snort passed through my lips causing everyone at the table to go silent.

"I-" Before I could explain myself everyone at the table erupted into laughter and soon I joined them.

"We are definitely keeping you around if you make hilarious sounds like that." Richie commented once we had all calmed down. I placed a fake pout on my face and playfully glared at him.

"I don't know if I want to stay around if you think my snorts are hilarious." I finished my sentence with another snort.

"Well maybe I don't want you and your snorts anymore." Richie played along with my small game.

"Fine then."

"Fine then." The table was silent for not even a mere second before we were all in tears of laughter once again.

"Welcome to the Losers Club, Lillian!"

A/N First proper chapter is up! Decided I am going to finish the book then go through and edit each chapter. So how was the chapter, comment what you thought and feel free to leave a vote 😉😉😉

Til the next chapter,

-I x