Curiosity

Luke's POV

God, why do I have to walk home? Earlier I got a call from my mom saying she was running behind thus leaving me to walk home from practice. That's a ten minute walk. Call me a baby, but the last thing I want to do is walk home after an hour of football practice and half-an-hour of basketball practice (since I went to football I missed the first half of basketball).

Then, I see something- more like someone- that changes my mind. No more than three yards ahead of me is none other than Jace Dupain. I think God just answered my question- that is- if He is real. I quickly close the three yard gap between us.

"Hey." I say once I'm close to him. No reaction. Is he ignoring me? Why? "Hey!" I say a little louder in confusion, still nothing. Then, I see the headphone cord running from his coat pocket to both his ears. Without thinking I place a hand on his shoulder. It causes quite the reaction. Jace startles and turns quickly. In the process of turning he trips over his own feet and he comes crashing down on his butt. Ouch, that's gotta hurt. God, why does it seem like I'm always knocking him down? God, I say God a lot... I snap out of my thoughts to bring my attention to the freshman sized junior.

Jace looks up at me with wide eyes. I finally get a clear look at his face. His eyes are storm-blue and he has thick dark eyelashes that would make most girls jealous. He has almond shaped eyes and a thin nose that make me think he might some Asian-american in him. I also notice two moles one under the corner of his eye and another below the corner of his mouth. He blinks up at me and I snap out of my daze.

I hold out my hand to him causing him to flinch away as if I'd hurt him. I try to give a gentle smile as a gesture that I won't hurt him, that I'm friendly, seeing as he still has ear buds in and can't hear me. He watches me with caution, eyes flicking from my face to my hand. Finally, he places his small, pale hand into mine. I pull him up easily, he's as light as a feather. Once standing he pulls out his phone stopping his music and removes his earbuds. He wraps the earbuds around his phone before tucking it back into his pocket. He glances up at me, but quickly looks back down. Why are people afraid of him? He barely reaches my shoulders and he looks so fragile. If anything he looks like the type to be bullied instead. The thought of him being bullied makes me feel angry. No one should be bullied.

"Sorry 'bout that. Didn't mean to scare you." I say. He just nods his head in acknowledgment. "Where you heading?" I ask curiously.

"The- The park..." He whispers quietly. Ah! Idea!

"Cool, would you mind if I came with?" I ask and he look up in surprise. I notice that his eyes look a little bit grayer now.

"R-Really? You- You wanna walk w-with me?" He stutters. Yes, that's why I asked.

"Really. Can I?" I ask again. After a moment of hesitation he nods. "I'm Luke by-the-way." I tell him belatedly.

"I know." He whispers.

"What?" I ask in confusion.

"I- uh- I me-mean, I-I'm Jace!" He says hurriedly.

"Nice meeting you, Jace." I say pleasantly. "Lead the way."

"Th-This way." He says softly. He starts walking in the original direction he was going. I follow obediently.

"Wait," I say after a moment.of walking. He glances shyly up at me. "Aren't all the parks that way?" I ask, confused.

"The- The newer ones a-are, but th-there is a- an old one b-back by the woods near the out-outskirts of t-town." He stutters out.

"You aren't going to murder me, are you?" I ask. He looks up with wide eyes and shakes his head.

"No! Why would I?" He asks in shock. I laugh.

"It's a joke." I say with a smile.

"Oh..." He says quietly and he looks down as his cheeks turn pink. He starts walking again. He's so quiet. Why is he so afraid? Everyone's afraid of him yet he's so timid and quiet. He's so tiny.

"How old are you?" I ask before I can stop my self. He looks surprised by the question.

"I-I'm 15." My eyes widen That's right! Mikey said he skipped a few grades. He's so young! He really is suppose to be a freshman instead of a junior.

"Wow, what grades did you skip?" I ask and he tilts his head to look at me a little.

"I- I skipped part of freshman year and all of s-sophomore year." He explains. Whoa! Before I can ask more Jace stops and points to something.

"That's the park." He says quietly and sure enough we've arrived at a park on the outskirts of town.

___

A/N:

As of 08/12/2018 this chapter has been edited. It should be a lot easier to read now. It was a mess >.< Also, it's weird editing this now, because Jace is 15 in this and I just uploaded the last chapter of the sequel and he's like 26. He's grown up T_T  Well, thank you so much for reading!!!!!