Threats

Jace's POV *Trigger Warning: Small panic attack, abuse, and threats of suicide*

Luke chats with me on the way to Mr. Richard's class. I'm using him as motivation to go the entire school day, but Mr. Richard always finds a way to put a spotlight on me. I'm begging he won't today when we walk in. I sigh in relief when I see that it's a substitute teacher today. Luke and I part to sit in our seats and the sub starts reading off Mr. Richard's notes. He pauses and looks at them closer.

"Jace? Jace Dupain?" I startle when he calls my name. "Can you come to the front please, Mr. Richard told me to refer to you if I had any questions." Even when he's gone he still manages to find a way to point me out. I feel myself to tremble as the class watches as I stand and walk to the front.

"Y-Yes?" I ask the teacher quietly. I peek at the class and my heart jumps seeing them watching. I notice Luke watching with worry.

"I need your help explaining the homework essay." I flinch when I hear some students groan. My heart feels like it's beating impossibly fast. The sub hands me the paper and I can barely grab it with how bad I'm shaking. He seems unfazed by it and goes to sit, leaving me alone at the front of the class on the verge of a panic attack. The words on the paper start to swirl and jump on the page. Please! Make it stop! I don't want them to see me! My mind cries. My breathing becomes rough and the paper slips from my hands. I look about the room, frantic. I see the preps' piercing stares and the jocks' jaunting glares and then, my eyes connect with Luke's. His presence seems to calm me enough to force my legs to carry me out of the room to the nearest bathroom.

I lock the door and lean my back against it. I slide down and hug my knees. Calm down! Breath! I try to calm myself, but it doesn't help. All I can remember is those piercing stares burning everything until nothing is left. Tears slip down my cheeks, I bury my face in my knees. Long ago the doctor diagnosed me with something called scopophobia- the fear of being noticed or stared at. It started with the look my father gave me when he killed my mother before getting thrown in jail all those years ago. Then, it got worse when I moved in with my uncle. Now, any unwanted attention threatens to throw me into a panic attack. There's a knock at the door startling me.

"Jace! It's Luke! Let me in!" Luke yells. I quickly scramble up and unlock it for him. He slides in and I quickly lock it again. "Jace! Are you okay? What's-" I cut him off with a tight hug. I did it without thinking. I just needed his warm, his support. He doesn't hesitate to wrap his arms securely around me. He calms me. I can smell his cologne. I can feel his chest rise and fall with each breath. I can feel his warmth. It all helps ground me. Why? I think through the warm fuzz settling over me. Why does he have this affect on me? Why do I feel so attached to him? Unthinkingly, I nuzzle into his chest. "You'll be fine. I'm here, you're safe." Luke whispers, gently rubbing my back.

"I'm sorry." I whisper. "You shouldn't get involved with me. I'm a mess and it'll end badly." I sniffle. He pulls away to look at me.

"Why do you say that?" He asks, his brows, which are a darker blonde than his hair, are furrowed in confusion.

"You'll end up like Marcus did." I whisper.

"What?" He asks, surprised.

"It's my fault he ended up in the hospital."

"Jace, you can't tell me that what Marcus said is true? I can't see you being able to injure him that badly." Luke says. I shake my head.

"No, it was my uncle, b-but it was my fault. I became friends with h-him. I told him it was alright to come over. Uncle came home d-drunk like usual and w-was furious that I brought Marcus to the house. He started b-beating me and Marcus," I have to bite back a sob. "Marcus tried to stop him, but u-uncle was too strong. We were only 11. He was beating Marcus and he threw me aside when I t-tried to stop him, t-tried to get him to hurt me instead, but he just said he'd hurt him enough for the both of us. After he was done he called 911. He t-threatened Marcus not to tell the truth. Uncle t-told the police that Marcus and I got into a fight. I told Marcus he should keep up the lie and stay away from me, it was safer for him. If I hadn't been so s-stupid-" I sob.

"Jace," I flinch. "That wasn't your fault." I shake my head.

"It is! If- If I wouldn't have been an idiot. If I-I would've never brought Marcus over- No, if I'd never befriended him he never would've been hurt!" I cry, surprising Luke.

"Jace..." Luke rubs my shoulder, eyes full of concern. Suddenly, it clicks. I'm befriending Luke. My eyes widen in horror as I imagine Luke crumpled on the ground blood, unsure if he's even breathing.

"No...No...!" I mumble, backing away.

"Jace?" Luke reaches for me.

"No!" I pull away from him. "Luke, you've got to stay away from me. Don't get near me at all. Just go back to ignoring me like before. Okay?" I turn to quickly escape, but Luke grabs my wrist.

"I don't understand, Jace? You can't stop me from being your friend." I says. I give him an empty smile as my brain gives me the easiest way to ensure Luke's safety.

"I can, Luke." I say softly. He watches me confused. "If you don't stay away from me I'll just take myself out of the equation." His eyes widen.

"Y-You don't mean you'll- you'll-"

"I'll kill myself."

A/N:

Updated on 11/10/2019. Less cringe. Some fluff. The way I wrote the ending before was a bit cringy and didn't really explain why Jace jumped to killing himself, but now it kinda should. Also, rereading the comments from before I saw people correcting my spelling. That's fine as long as it's one person. I don't need twenty people pointing out the same mistake that I'd probably already noticed and just hadn't changed yet. Most of the time I type after a long day instead of sleeping and then I reread it, but sometimes I miss something. Also the original was written when I was like 15. I knew nothing then(some would argue I still know nothing). Rant over. Thank you!!