Nightmares

Jace's POV

Ms. Markway pulls up a chair to sit next to my bed. The sheriff stays by the door. I glance at Luke, nervous. He notices and comes to my other side, his comforting presence helping calm me. She pulls out a little device.

"This is a video recorder. If you don't mind I will be videoing our session?" She asks. I nod hesitantly. She smiles and sets it up. "Also, if you would like to have a lawyer present we can arrange for that?" She asks. I look at Luke, unsure. He shakes his head.

"I don't think that's necessary. It's nothing that could get you in legal trouble." Luke says with a shrug. "You can change your mind whenever though." He says. I nod.

"T-Then I don't n-need one." I whisper. She nods, the soft smile never leaving her face.

"Okay, what we are here to discuss today is the various injuries found on your body. Do you understand?" Ms. Markway asks. I nod. "Good." She flips through some paperwork in her the folder she brought with. "We'll start with an easier one; Where did the cut on your cheek come from?" I can feel myself start to shake from the attention, from the memories.

"M-My uncle." I whisper.

"Your uncle? Just to be clear what uncle?" She asks.

"U-Uncle I-Isaiah." His name burns my mouth. Unconsciously, my eyes dart around the room as if saying his name will summon him. Then, I feel panic claw it's way through my body. "W-Where is my Uncle? T-They call next of kin, r-right? That means he knows I'm here. I-If he comes i-in and sees this. He'd-" I break off in panic, looking at Luke. He puts a hand on my shoulder to help calm me.

"You're uncle with not be joining us today. The hospital did contact him, but with this case being open again until it is clear he is not allowed to be near you. That is one of the reasons Sheriff Reese is joining us today and why there is an officer posted at your door." Ms. Markway explains. The sheriff nods in agreement. I relax a little, but the panic is still there ready to be let loose.

"O-Okay." I whisper.

"What would your uncle do if he found you talking to us?" She asks.

"W-What?" I ask surprised.

"In your panic to know your uncle's whereabouts you said if he found you here he'd-? He'd what?" She explains. I look at my lap.

"H-He'd punish me for talking to you." I say softly.

"What do his punishments entail?" She asks.

"I-It's different each time. M-Most of the time h-he hits me. O-One time he pushed me d-down the stairs. A-Another time he t-threw a bowl at m-me 'cause I did get h-him more chips fast e-enough." I hear Luke gasp lightly.

"I see. So he punishes you often?" I nod. "Was the cut on your check a punishment too?" I nod. "How about the bruises found on your body the night you came in?"

"H-He was angry b-because o-of what happened with Luke." I tell her.

"Was that when he had attacked Luke?" I nod. "And what about your fractured rib?" She asks.

"That happened before when he w-was kicking me f-for skipping school. He made s-sure it was broken that night after Luke." I whisper.

"How did you know it was broken? Did you see a doctor?"

"N-Not this time, but I've had a broken rib before." I explain.

"When was that and what was the cause?" She asks.

"W-When I was 13. Uncle- Uncle was angry that I brought a friend home." I tell her.

"Luke?" I shake my head.