Secrets

Jace's POV *Trigger Warning: Abuse, Selfharm, Suicidal thoughts, and mentions of rape*

Luke watches me with warm green eyes, waiting for me to reveal my secrets. Should I be doing this? Can I really trust him to keep this secret? What if he runs to his friends saying, "the poor emo cuts his wrists and gets beat up by his uncle cause he's a piece of shit, boo-who"? I bite my lip, looking down. I feel Luke squeeze my hand in comfort. It's strange feeling him touching me. He's so warm and so real.

"M-my uncle," The words hurt coming from my mouth. "H-he's the o-one who hurts me."

"What?" Luke says in shock causing me to flinch at the sudden outburst. "Sorry." He adds quickly. "Your Uncle beats you? Why would he do that?" I can hear a hint of anger in his voice and it sets me on edge. I want to tell him not to be mad at me. I want to beg him.

"I-It's what I d-deserve." I whisper instead. I suck on my bottom lip, my eyes start to sting with the threat of tears.

"Why would you think that?" Luke asks so softly.

"B-Because I-I'm-" I cut myself off afraid of letting out my thoughts.

"Please," He says softly. "Tell me why you think you deserve this."

"I-I do everything wrong. I'm ugly and unlovable. I'm completely worthless, a waste of space, and-and-" I break off, a tear escapes down my cheek as more of my Uncle's words clutter my head. It hurts worse to say it outloud to someone.

"Jace..." Luke trails off, unsure of what to say.

"If I do anything wrong or say anything wrong I'll be punished. I'll be beat until I can't even feel the pain. Until every part of me is blackened and bloodied." I continue. "When he'd found out I was-" I quickly shut my mouth, almost revealing the secret that would ruin everything. He'd be so disgusted!

"Found out what?" Luke pries gently.

"N-Nothing." I lie.

"Jace, I promise I won't tell anyone." He says.

"H-He found out I was... g-gay..." I whisper, barely audible. The silence that follows is deafening. I'm bracing myself for the insults. For the pain. It never comes. Instead Luke pulls me closer into his arms, wrapping me in his embrace. I stiffen, unsure what to do, but Luke gently rubs my back. That's all it takes before I'm clinging to Luke, sobbing.

"I'm here. It's okay." Luke whispers gently in my ear. He holds me until my sobbing subsides to hiccups and sniffles. "Better?" Luke asks. I come to my senses and realize I'm fully in Luke's lap, clinging to him. I quickly put a little distance between us.

"S-Sorry!" I exclaim. "I d-don't know what's wrong with m-me. I'm not normally l-like this." My cheeks feel like they're on fire.

"It's fine. You can always come cry on my shoulder." Luke reassures with a smile. I keep my eyes averted in embarrassment. "Jace," I glance at him quickly to see his serious expression. "You should report him to the police."

"No! If I do that he'd kill me!" I protest, a wave of fear washing over me.

"The police can protect you from him! I can protect you from him! You can't stay with him, Jace!" He argues desperately. I shake my head.

"No, Luke! You promised you wouldn't tell! You've got to keep it, please!" I plead with him. He looks into my eyes, searching for something. Then, his eyes turn sad.

"Okay..." He says softly, defeated. I want to comfort him, but my phone dings.

[New message from "Uncle": Where the helll are yu get your worthles ass here now]