Burning Eyes

Jace's POV

I walk into school with my head low as I carefully walk through the crowd. Most people steer clear of me, which is helpful for moments like this. My entire body aches from the bruises that litter my concealed skin. I'm gonna have to skip gym class. Not only will the gym outfit expose my bruises- among other marks- I can barely walk without wanting to cry. I shouldn't have lost track of time. He was so mad.

I hear a familiar laugh and glance in it's directions. Mr. Popular- er- Luke is in the middle of a group of populars. Everyone is smiling and laughing happily. He really is true to his nickname. I notice a familiar face among the crowd and my heart twists in bittersweet pain. My first and last friend, Marcus. I haven't talked to him since the hospital when his eye was blackened and his ribs were fractured. I'm glad he listened to me. I don't know what would've happened if he didn't keep up the lie. My eyes start stinging so I quickly walk away from the group.

I hear the warning bell ring signalling class will start in five minutes. Everyone rushes around to get their things and to get to class, but I just go to my locker in a leisurely pace. I don't really want to go to class, if I'm late it's whatever. I've kind of cheated the system. I make sure to keep my grades up at exceptional levels and attend the required number of days to not get expelled. It also helps that this isn't a high ranking school so they don't really care that much.

I feel a warm hand on my shoulder, startling me from my thoughts. I turn quickly, cringing away from the touch. I come face to- er- chest with Luke Castel (Pronounce like Cast- eL for all you Supernatural and PJO fans). He gives me a friendly smile.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. Again." He apologizes. I give a little nod, trying to figure out why he's talking to me. He glances at the clock. "You know your going to be late, right?" He says seeing that I haven't even set my bag in my locker yet.

"Yeah, so...?" I says quietly, keeping my head down.

"We can't have that though. Let me help." He says happily. I flinch a little when he helps slip my bag off my shoulder. "What class do you have?" He asks setting my bag in my locker and looking through my books. Does he know what personal space is? Not only that, I told him not to get involved with me yet here he is.

"I- Um, I have Chemistry first." I tell him, watching in confusion. His eyes light up.

"I didn't realize we have class together!" He says happily as he grabs my chemistry book along with the notebook I have labeled chemistry. He grabs my pencil and shuts my locker. He holds both his and my stuff in one arm with ease. "Let's go, we might be able to make it." He says, carefully taking hold of my wrist. Pain flares up my arm, but I don't have time to dwell on it before we're running. What is he thinking? Why is he escorting me to class? Why am I letting him?

"Knew we could make it!" He says happily as we burst into the room just as the bell rings. I try to catch my breath as he lets go of me. Even though we just ran up a flight of stairs and halfway across the school Luke looks unfazed which is unfair in my opinion. My blood runs cold when I peek around the room to see everyone staring. I quickly look down and curl into myself slightly. If I appear small maybe they'll lose interest and stop looking at me. Please. Luke hands out my stuff, oblivious to the piercing stares around us. I can't even muster up a thanks when I take it from him. I hug it to my chest like a vice. "Talk to you later." Luke says as the teacher walks in and we both quickly make our way to our seats- him in the middle of the crowd and me to the back away from everyone.

I pull out my notebook and keep my head low. When the teacher starts talking, I realize it's something I already know and start doodling in my notebook. I feel my anxiety start to ebb away now that no one is paying attention to me. I hold my hand in front of me to see it's still shaking. Maybe I'll skip next period to give my brain time to calm down. And maybe Mr. Richard's class. He always brings attention to me and I can't handle it. It sucks because literature is my favorite. I don't realize I've tuned out the teacher until I hear her say my name.

"Jace Dupain!" My head snaps up instantly. "Pay attention! This isn't nap time!" She says angrily. My heart falls when I see everyone turn their attention to me. I quickly look down, trying to ignore it. I wring my hands together to force the shaking to go away. My silence is not taken kindly. "What do you say, Jace?" The teacher asks angrily. Around me I hear a few students whisper. I hear my nickname- "The Emo" and stuff about how I'm probably gonna kill her for this and so on.

"I-I'm s-s-" I start to stutter quietly.

"Speak up!" She yells. There are more nasty whispers and I feel like their eyes are burning holes into me. I can't take this. I stand, startling the people around me. Not able to grab my things with my shaking hands, I bolt out of the room without them. When I'm out of school I just run. I run all the way back to the park, my safe place. It used to be popular when my parents were kids, but now it's practically abandoned. I take a few calming breaths until the oncoming panic attack subsides.

I run my fingers along the rough wood of the slide. It use to be a pirate ship. I remember taking a rock and writing on it. I was little then and everything was okay. Then... Flashes of blood play from my memories. I quickly shake it away. I sit on the swings and start to swing softly, not going too high.

I remember how it felt when Luke was pushing me. It really felt like I could fly. I ruffle my hair in embarrassment when I remember how I laughed in front of him. He probably thinks I'm a weirdo. It felt so nice though... It has been a while since I'd actually laughed. Nowadays it's just to keep Uncle to keep from getting angry. He hates when I'm unresponsive. I shudder thinking of my uncle's anger.

I wish I could disappear. I hate when people give me attention. When their eyes look at me, judging me. That's why I like it here. It's the closest I can come to disappearing, because no one will come looking for me. No one cares that I'm gone. My eyes started to sting again. I quickly pull out my phone and put on music to listen to while I wait for the day to pass. I try not to think of what's in store for me when I get home.

A/N:

As of 11/05/2019 this chapter has been updated :D This one was a little rough, but it's better now. It's also 260 words longer! Once again it isn't perfect. I'm still stupid, but I hope it reads better now. I cringe so much reading the unedited story so this will help make it less cringy and more realistic hopefully. Still remember this is fiction so it won't be 100% realistic. Thank you for reading!!