Adoption

Jace's POV

I work on my homework in my room at the Castel's while listening to some music. It's been a week since the trial. Like the judge ordered I've been going to a therapist once a week or more if needed. They've gotten me on pills to help with my depression and anxiety. They've worked on exercises to help so that maybe one day I'd be off them. I've been set into the foster system and have met with a social worker, but so far there isn't any families that want me. Thankfully, I've been allowed to stay with the Castel's and I think they would adopt me if it weren't for Luke and my relationship.

"You have a strange taste in music." Luke startles me from my work. He smiles at me from the doorway. I quickly turn the music down.

"It's only strange to you because it's not your type of music. Just like hard rap is strange to me." I tell him and he smiles.

"As smart as always." Luke says taking a seat next to me. "What are you working on?" He asks.

"Literature homework." I answer.

"Yeah? I bet you're almost finished?" I nod. "Knew it." He grins. We hear the house phone ring.

"I've got it!" Mary yells from somewhere in the house.

"Wanna go for a walk once you're finished?" Luke asks. I nod and I close up my books. I slip on one of Luke's jackets. When we head downstairs Mary is on the phone still.

"Oh!" She says seeing us. "He's actually right here." She holds the phone to her chest. "Jace, sweetie, it's Alice. She wants to tell you something." She holds out the phone to me and I take it. I take a calming breath to help keep the little nagging anxiety away.

"Hello?" I say.

"Hello, Jace!" Alice says happily, she's the social worker assigned to me.

"Mrs. Castel said you wanted to talk to me?" I ask.

"Well, I've a couple here interested in adopting you. Would you like to come meet them?" She asks. I'm surprised.

"Y-Yeah, sure." I tell her.

"Perfect! I'll see you soon!" She says and we both hang up.

"What's up?" Luke asks.

"She says there is a couple that wants to adopt me." I tell him.

"Really?" He asks excitedly. I nod. "That's great!" He says hugging me.

"Yeah, she wants me to go there to meet them." I say.

"I'll drive you." Mary says.

"I want to come too!" Luke pipes up. We all pile into the car to meet this mystery couple. Alice meets us at the reception desk when we get there.

"Hello! I'm so glad to see you, all of you!" Alice says in greeting. I keep my eyes lowered.

"H-Hello." I say. I've still got a lot of work to do to be able to talk to people without feeling so anxious.

"Follow me and we'll meet Max and Janet. I think you're really going to like them." She says leading the way.

"D-Do you think they'll like m-me?" I ask timidly.

"I do believe so. I've filled them in on the situations you've gone through and it hasn't scared them away." She reassures, but I still wring my fingers.

"What about my r-relationship with Luke?" I ask.

"I have a feeling they won't mind." She says with a knowing grin. "They are on the younger side. Janet is only 26 and Max is 29. They're both artists. They told me they recently wanted to have a child, but decided that a young child might be too much for them at the moment. They do live only a few miles away from where you do now and said that if you want you can stay at your current school." She explains as we reach her office. "Ready?" She asks.