Plans

Jace's POV

I follow Mrs. Castel- I guess maybe I should try thinking of her as Mary now- down the stairs. My cheeks are still red from Luke's kiss and my lips tingle from the sensation. He's given me so many kisses since our confessions. I think, biting my lip.

"What are you thinking about so dreamily?" Mrs- Mary asks, a small smirk on her face. The blush that had started to lighten darkens on my cheeks.

"Nothing!" I lie quickly. "Uh...I mean... it's nothing." I stutter and her smirk grows.

"If you say so." She sing-songs as we enter the kitchen. "For dinner I was thinking of making spaghetti. What do you think?" She asks. I nod. "Great!" She says pulling out two pans. "I'll get the water. Will you get the sauce. It'll be in the mason jars on I think the second shelf there." She says pointing to a cabinet. "Just one jar." She adds.

I open the cabinet and on the second shelf there are mason jars of various sizes. I have to get on my tip-toes, but I get a red colored jar. The top of the lid has the initials "S.S." I assume/hope that it means spaghetti sauce. I've never seen sauce like this before and there isn't a label. I open the jar with only a minimal bit of trouble and pour it in the pan Mary got for me.

"It's homemade." Mary says, seeing me sniff the jar. I make a little "oh" face. "We've got a friend who likes to make sauces and canned goods that lets me buy off her." She explains. "Now, let's make the garlic bed." Make? She pulls out a cooking sheet and lines it with aluminum foil. "There is bread in the pantry over there." She points. "It'll be the thick cut bread." She adds. I look through the pantry. Thankfully, there is only one bag of thick cut bread. When I bring it back to Mary she has gotten melted butter, minced garlic, and another herb. "If you could mix the garlic and butter in the bowl, please." I do as told. "What was dinner like at your house?" I tense. Her voice was nonchalant, but hesitant.

"I-It was, uh, okay." I say. "I made dinner if U-Uncle was home or conscious." Or if I wasn't hiding from him or already punished for something I did that day. "It was a more generic version of this sort of stuff.

"I see. Who taught you how to cook?" She asks, her tone gentle.

"I-I learned by looking up recipes." I answer. She hums.

"What about your parents?" My heart skips a beat.

"M-My parents?" I stutter.

"Do you remember them?" I give a hesitant nod. "Tell me about them?" She asks. I hand her the bowl so she can brush it on the bread.

"I only remember bits and pieces. Most were nice..." I trail off thinking of the other parts- the bloody bits.

"I actually went to school with your father and uncle." She says. "Can you put the pasta in." She says getting the bread in the oven. I do and she continues on, "David," Unconsciously, I jolt at the mention of my fathers name. I don't hear it too often. Thankfully, Mary doesn't say anything. "Was a grade above me. Everyone loved him. Isaiah was the opposite he was two grades below me and he was always in a fowl mood, hardly anyone wanted to be around him. Gosh, all the girls wanted to marry your father. They were heartbroken when he came back to the first school reunion and he had your mother under his arm with matching rings. Oh! I think you might've been there! She was pregnant at the time." She says, but I shake my head as I stir the pasta. "No?" She asks.

"That was her first pregnancy, but she lost it. I was her third and only successful pregnancy." I explain. The unwanted one.

"I'm so sorry!" Mrs. Castel apologizes.

"I-It's okay." I whisper. There's a moment of silence, then the timer goes off startling both of us.

"I'll finish up here if you want to set the table?" She suggests and I agree. "Perfect! Plates are there, forks over there, napkins in there, and use the glass cups in the cabinet in the dining room." She directs me. I pull everything out and set them at the table like they were this morning. Mary comes out with the noodles in a nice bowl. "Great! Can you get the sauce?" She asks. I nod and go back to the kitchen. The sauce is in a nice bowl as well. I bring it to Mary seeing that she has placed noodles on every plate and does the same with the sauce, setting it in the middle once she's done. "Now the toast and if you could also bring the parmesan cheese too, please?" I do and she sets a piece of toast on the plates and sprinkle parmesan on the spaghetti. It smells amazing. "Dinner is ready!" She chirps. "I'll go get my husband and you go get Luke." She then hurries off somewhere.

I head back to Luke's room. When I peek in I see him still resting on his bed. He's lying on his side, his arms wrapped around one of his pillows. I walk up to him, staying quiet as to not wake him, and carefully sit on the bed. Hesitantly, I bring a hand to caress the side of his head, running my fingers through his hair. I trail my fingers across his cheek.

Looking at his peaceful face I get the urge to kiss him. It takes all my courage to lean down and lightly brush my lips against his. I'm starting to sit back up when arm wraps around my waist. I squeak at the movement. I'm pulled down as the pillow is pushed aside. I take its place against Luke's chest with his arms securely around me. I look up to see Luke watching with sleepy eyes.

"Y-You're awake!" I say causing him to smile. He hugs me closer. For a moment I feel so warm and secure that I just want to relax and fall asleep, but I can't.

"You smell good." Are the first words out of Luke's mouth. My cheeks darken.

"I-It's dinner." I stutter. "I-I smell like dinner, b-because I helped make it. A-And it's done!" I clarify. I can feel his chuckle resonated in his chest against mine.

"Okay." Is all he says before sitting up. Instead of letting me go, he pulls me up with him and pulls me into his lap. "I was thinking." He says. I hum in question, trying to calm my erratic heart. "Are you free this friday?" He asks. I snort.

"When do I have plans?" I ask causing him to laugh.

"Since you met me." He says causing me to smile. "I want to take you on our date this friday. Is that okay?" He asks, his voice sounding a little hesitant. I nod, my blush growing. "Perfect!" He says with a bright smile. It's quiet for a moment and I actually start to relax in Luke's lap. "I'm starving!" He complains. "Let's go eat." He helps me get out of his lap before standing. He takes my hand and leads me downstairs. "What's for dinner?" He asks.

"I-It's spaghetti and garlic toast." I answer.

"Yummy." He says with a content hum. I smile then, lose it in favor of confusion when he pulls me aside before we enter the dining room. He gives a quick look around the room.

"Wh-" His lips on mine cuts off my question. This kiss seems different, more passionate. He gently pushes me against the wall as we kiss. I suck in a breath that turns into a gasp when his tongue enters my mouth. I grab a hold of him for purchase as my knees get weak. Our tongues dance together clumsily as we kiss. Everything feels so hot. Finally, Luke breaks the kiss so we can pant for air. He grins, caressing my cheek.

"Let's eat." He says giving me a soft kiss to the forehead. I follow him into the dining room where his parents were talking, oblivious to what had just happened. The feeling sticks with me the entire time. Not even talking about the trial kills the heat Luke left.

A/N:

Updated 11/25/2019. I really want someone to kiss and cuddle right now (╥_╥) Quite a few comments might not make sense now that I've updated this. Thanks!!