The Young King

"And what is your opinion, Princess? Do you believe the brewing aggression in the east will break into a war?"

Mai looked up from her dinner to see Lord Zaydan looking at her, his obsidian eyes intense though his expression smiled. A noble of a middle eastern land of desert and oasis, she had always liked him – with his flowing black hair, tanned skin and clever eyes that always asked for her opinion – even if he was happily married and some ten years her senior.

However he had today put her on the spot, seeing as she had been thinking back to her classes that morning when she had been learning the mine and emotion for a segment of her part in Swan Lake.

At the head of the table, her father watched her, waiting.

He had been keeping a closer eye on her over the last few weeks and she knew he was watching to see if she could keep up with her role on stage that she so desperately wanted and her role in court that she so desperately needed.

Her half-twin jumped to the rescue.

"We were actually discussing it last night, weren't we, Mai?" Etienne said, picking up his glass. "You made the observation that if negotiations went underway within the next month or so, the problems could be avoided. The tension is boiling because of the wait."

Mai blinked, then looked to Lord Zaydan. "Exactly," she said, "Of course I can only comment from what ambassadors have told me but I understand that the desires of both kingdoms can be met without negative affect to either side, just so long as they discuss the issues in a timely matter."

Lord Zaydan quirked up the corner of his lips and flicked his eyes over to one of his companions.

"You see? It is as I said. Time is of the essence but war is easily avoided," he said and his companion rolled his eyes.

"Just because a girl says so does not make it so simple," he pointed out.

Lord Zaydan tilted his head and opened his mouth.

"Princess," Mai cut in, making the others look at her, "Not just girl. Besides, the observations of any girl must be met on equal standings as you boys, after all, only a fool ignores half the conversation and expects to converse efficiently."

The man bristled and Lord Zaydan shot him a nastily triumphant grin.

Mai looked towards her father – it wasn't exactly the role of princesses to aggravate the honoured guests – but he gave her a satisfied smile and turned his attention to the woman who sat beside him.

"I hear your wife is travelling to attend the meetings," Mai said, looking at Zaydan and he smiled brightly at the chance to discuss her.

"Indeed. A formidable force to be reckoned with, she'll sort them out," he said and pointed his fork at his associate. "Another reason to listen to the ladies in our presence, these are the people who can end wars."

That just got him another eye-roll.

"You are too soft, Zaydan."

"And you are hardboiled to the point of overdone."

"Progressive as ever, Sire."

That earned a snort from Lord Zaydan and the conversation moved on from politics and the possible endings of countries to approaching festivities and the notable guests that would be arriving that night and the following day.

Among the names were two princes and a king who everyone was anxious to see.

After dinner, everyone departed for a new change of clothes.