The Court of Dreams

"I thought you said you'd make him regret it."

Mai's eyes flipped open, her gaze facing out over the mountains, the night sky above her as she listened to footsteps approaching from behind.

She was sat cross-legged on the slope of the hill in the Realm of Dreams – with its mountains, rivers and abandoned palace – her favourite satiny white gown pooled out around her, her hair loose and speckled with stardust.

She looked over her shoulder.

"Black Rabbit," she said with a smirk, patting the grass beside her. "I haven't seen you in a while."

"I've been polite and stayed out of Griffin's way," Black said, dropping down beside her and stretching out his long legs, resting back on his hands. "But it's been four months and you don't seem to have done anything more than settle into life in the Court of Dreams. After you so boldly proclaimed you'd make Reve regret things, I'm fast losing my patience with you and your existence."

"Now I remember why I tire of you," Mai said, "I'm working on finding that door."

"Before or after the next ball?"

"Why the sudden rush? You've been in this world for how long?"

"Because I've been expecting things from you, princess," he shot back at her.

Mai raised an eyebrow. "You'd be the first."

Black snorted, looking away, his mismatched eyes narrowed at he looked towards the mountains. "Sure, well, I like to cheer for the underdog, once in a while. My hope was you cared enough about getting your sisters and friends out that you'd rush to get them to freedom and, in the process, get Griffin out with them. But the waiting is wearing on my nerves."

Mai's other eyebrow shot up to join the first. "Get Griffin out? There's nothing to suggest I can. He's dead. You're both dead. He's already told me about how he could be wiped from existence. You would vanish with him? Why so eager to test it?"

Black just snorted with laughter. "I don't care if I vanish out of existence. My primary focus has and always will be the safety of Griffin."

"How sweet."

He shot her a narrow look. "I know I don't exist in the way your personality does. I know I'm different. I was born out of a desire to survive. If there's a chance to get Griffin out, I'm all aboard."

"And if I kill him in process?"

Black didn't answer, but there was a disgusted twitch to his upper lip before it smooth again.

"Besides, you should I know haven't just been sitting on the grass or dancing on stage for the last four mouths," Mai said, dropping her elbow on her thigh, watching him.

He gave another snort. "No, you've been prowling around the castle and making closer acquaintance with Griffin."

"Mad at me for his falling in love?" Mai inquired innocently.

He was quiet for a moment, then looked at her. "No, because I know you're feelings aren't far off his," he said and Mai pursed her lips. He shot her a wicked grin and looked away again. "You're fine for him, princess. He decided you were the one the night you challenged him during the first show at the palace."

"Feels so long ago," she sighed, looking away. "To think, all I worried about then was holding my position as principle in my company."

Her voice faded as she looked at the moonlight ahead, her brow slowly creasing and she jumped as the feel of Black's hand on her back, rubbing absently. At first, she thought Griffin had taken over but when she looked around, it was still Black. He wasn't looking at her, but his hand soothed in a reassuring circle.