Undertones

Mai looked over the balcony but The Black Rabbit was already gone, stolen by the shadows as Kazimir walked over to stand beside her.

She hugged him around the waist as he looked down.

"Who was that?" he asked, giving her a one-armed hug then dropping a forearm on the balcony balustrade and looking at her.

"You threatened to throw a man over a balcony and you don't know who he is?" Mai asked, smiling as she folded her arms.

"I don't need to know someone to throw them over a balcony. It's mindless violence, no pleasantries required," he said.

Mai smiled. "That was The Black Rabbit, the ringmaster of The Midnight Troupe."

Kazimir looked thoroughly unimpressed.

"Forget him," Mai said instead, waving a hand through the air, "How are you?"

"Fine."

Mai touched his hand and he looked down at it.

"How are you?" she repeated softly.

Kazimir watched her for a moment, then his lashes flickered and he looked away. "As well as can be, 'tis only a year," he rephrased.

"Of course," she said and dropped her hand.

"And yourself?"

"Very well," she said, smiling at him. "Shall you be staying long? Dalton should be staying with us for the winter season, I believe."

"I shall be back and forth, I'm sure," Kazimir said, straightening up, "I can't stay continuously. I have other things to attend to... and the constant court life would drive me to distraction."

"Sociable as ever. Will you at least attend the ballet?"

Kazimir pulled a face and looked at her. Then a certain understanding seemed to dawn and he gave her a look of genuine interest. "Will the dancers interest me?"

"They shall," Mai said, beaming at him.

He rewarded her with a smile in return – the expression transforming his stony features and revealing the full extent of his beauty.

"I'm sure I can suffer through one ballet then," he promised, then looked around. "Now, to other matters. Is my brother here?"

"You haven't greeted him?" Mai asked, surprised as they turned to the ballroom, she sliding her arm through his as they walked back into the fray.

"No, I arrived, dodged the Master of Ceremonies and happened to notice you out on the balcony with the nut-case in the bad hat-wear."

"Kazimir," Mai said, "It's a costume."

"I thought to intervene," he continued then spotted his brother.

Dalton spotted him at the same moment and his eyes widened.

"Kazimir?" he said, gaping before parting the crowd with a wave of his hand – Mai smiled to herself, he had the command of a king when he wasn't thinking too hard about it. Dalton strode through the parted crowd and threw his arms around Kazimir before Kazimir could object.

He squeezed him tightly and, after a moment, Kazimir gave him a reluctant hug in return before wriggling free.

"I didn't think you were going to come," Dalton said.

"I promised I would, didn't I?"

"Yes, but I didn't expect you to actually keep your promises."

"A fine picture of me."