Mimic

Mai looked at him for a long moment, The Black Rabbit gazing back at her but she felt when his eyes moved to look behind her and his smile vanished as he quickly straightened up, pushing the deck back to arm's length.

Mai looked behind her to see Kazimir stood at the doors behind them, the same way he'd been last night – leaning against the frame, legs crossed, arms folded, face unimpressed – the boatman and Henrietta standing behind him.

"I wasn't sure when to interrupt, I figured it would be rude to just barge between you," he said, his voice like ice.

The Black Rabbit shot him a tight smile.

"I didn't think you were one for manners," he said and his hands tightened on the deck as Kazimir straightened up.

Mai looked down at his hands for a moment, then suppressed a smile.

For all his ease, Kazimir seemed to unnerve him at least a little bit – but then Kazimir had that effect on people Mai was discovering.

Kazimir walked over to them and held out a hand to Mai. She took it and he pulled her to his feet as they looked down at The Black Rabbit.

"You could send him on his way. You've entertained enough people today," Kazimir said.

Mai looked at him, then back at The Black Rabbit.

"You said you had discussed something with my father?" she said.

"I did."

"What?"

"I think you'd rather hear it in privacy."

"You think so, huh?" Kazimir said.

"Yes, I think so," The Black Rabbit shot back then caught himself and forced a smile. "I think we got off on the wrong foot – an unlucky rabbit foot you might say."

Kazimir clearly didn't appreciate the joke... or possibly didn't even get it because he didn't even cringe at it.

The Black Rabbit grimaced however. "Not one for bad humour, I see."

"Humour?" Kazimir repeated.

"Look, I pose no ill will towards the princess, I just want to talk. It's important. It's about... hmm..." He seemed to cast about for a way to phrase whatever he was thinking of. "The colour indigo."

Mai's eyes widened. It wasn't exactly subtle but it did the trick as the word only meant something to Henrietta right off the bat as she heard about Indigo regularly.

The two men just looked blankly at him.

"Huh?" Kazimir said, beginning to look royally irritated.

"It's alright, I understand what he's saying," Mai said quickly holding up a hand, "I'll... I'll talk to him."

Kazimir looked at her.

"I won't be long," Mai said quickly, "and he can stay down there in the boat."

"Oh charming," The Black Rabbit muttered but didn't add anymore.

Kazimir finally gave a shrug and turned away. "All yours," he said and walked back inside the pavilion, Henrietta and the boatman following after a hesitating moment.

With one glance back, Henrietta slid the door closed behind them and Mai looked at The Black Rabbit.

"I really have to sit in the boat?" he asked, frowning up at her.

"Sit in the boat," she ordered bluntly.

"Come now, I haven't done anything to offend you. You'll love me if you give me the chance," he said with a grin.