Unmasking

"I'll be honest, as someone who has seen and led war; I wouldn't suggest that be your first instinct since you're missing a few key elements. Namely an army," Angelique said and Mai glared at her.

"You needn't shoot the idea down so fast," she said.

"I'm being realistic – and since we're in the land of dreams, that's saying something."

"You've seen war?"

"Seen war, commanded an army, led a kingdom. I wasn't alive for long but I got a lot done."

Mai looked at her for a moment. "Did your father really never find out what happened to you?"

A sadness passed Angelique's eyes. "My poor father," she muttered, "Alas, no. He never found out. By the time I got out, his era was dead and gone. Your line had been in power for a couple of generations by then. Before then, I couldn't get word to him. I could see him though; I could watch the world go by. I watched our father hunt and grow old and die. I watched friends forget us. I watched your line take our throne – don't worry, I hold no ill will, it was only natural without an heir. Did you know, five out of the twelve of us were married – yet no one produced a child in time to save the family line. And when I had a child, it was too late."

Mai blinked then looked up. "You had a child?"

"Many years ago, naturally."

Mai was quiet for a moment. "Did they have children? Is your line still alive?"

Angelique laughed. "Fear not, Mai, there is no threat to your family's right to the throne. There are no great, great grandchildren waiting in the wings, waiting to pounce. What is left of my blood knows nothing of its history. My father's line died with me."

"Wait, you say you could watch your father age and die... does that mean your child..."

Angelique gave her a sad smile, looking down at her teacup. "It is an awful thing to be able to witness your children's lives yet not be there for them. All trials and tribulations and yet..."

She looked.

"Just like Griffin. He could watch his family grow and age and die and yet could never reach out to them. Did you know his line still exists? On his brother's side. Not that he can do anything – they're barely even a family to him now because they do not mean anything anymore and he does not mean anything to them – just a phantom name of a long dead uncle killed in war."

Mai looked away and Angelique leant forwards, waiting until Mai looked at her again.

"Do you know why I'm telling you this?" she asked.

Mai blinked, startled by the sudden severity of her voice.

"Why I am telling you about my father, my children, Griffin's family? Why I drag up the painful memories of those who are dead and gone or those who have forgotten us and moved on? Can you guess why?"

Mai just looked blankly at her.

"I am warning you. If you so brazeningly declare you shall end this dream world, save your sisters, escape, then that is all very well. But understand, if you fail, this is your fate. At best you will stand side by side with me and Griffin, up here in the palace, watching those you love forget you and die. More likely, you will end up below, trapped like those who came before you."

"The banquet hall?"

Angelique laughed. "Oh, there is so much more and so much less to it than that cavern," she said, leaning back. "I'm sure you'll see it soon enough."