Killing The Dream

Editing? What's that?

~Enjoy~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mai went to bed at dawn. She would not be attending morning classes at the theatre, she knew that.

She would be sleeping late.

She expected to sleep late at least, she was exhausted.

Perhaps it was her exhaustion that meant she did not make it into the world of dreams.

Perhaps she didn't have long enough to sleep.

Because she was all too soon shaken awake by Joliette, her friend's eyes wide with horror.

"What?" she said, her voice scratchy and eyes tight and blurred.

"Mai," Joliette said, horror also in her voice, "You have to get up. Your sisters."

Mai was instantly awake, stunned as she stared. "They're been found?" she asked, shocked as she jumped out of bed, her minds flying back to the words of the fortune-teller.

Who was a puppet.

She wasn't real. Whatever Griffin said. Just because she sounded so sure of the future did not mean she knew what she was talking about.

"No," Joliette choked out.

Mai looked at her, her hands pausing in undoing her hair from its plait.

"It's Avalon and Amira. They're gone."

Mai sat down hard and missed the bed.

She wasn't sure when Henri had joined them but he was suddenly there, catching her before she hit the ground, his arms around her waist as he pulled her up again, gently settling her on the bed, gently hushing her though she wasn't saying anything, just staring at Joliette, convinced she hadn't heard right.

Avalon and Amira were... gone?

What?

Missing?

How?

Why?

This had nothing to do with them.

They hadn't eaten those apples. They hadn't fallen into a coma. They hadn't shared any of the strangeness that plagued Geneviève and Fleur.

And yet they were just... gone?

How?!

Like poison on the lung.

Wasn't that what Griffin had said just hours before? Both he and Kazimir had sensed some type of magic in the air. Kazimir couldn't pinpoint it. Didn't know its purpose. Was this it? He had sensed the disappearances of the princesses and didn't know it.

Griffin had sensed it to.

And he had known what it meant. He hadn't answered when Kazimir asked.

But she felt that was his way of answering without doing so. Without breaking whatever rule he was under. He answered without words.

He knew exactly what was going on.

But he wouldn't answer her.

She had to get back into the dream world to find out about that.