Goodnight

It was snowing.

Mai didn't even notice until Joliette appeared beside her, kneeling in the snow that was soaking two inches into her skirts.

"What happened?" she said, staring around them as she threw a heavy woollen shawl over Mai's shoulders. "Where are the tents?"

"They're gone," Mai said, her voice thinner than she realised.

"Yes, I can see that but when? I didn't know they were leaving. I could have sworn I saw them a mere half hour ago."

"They're gone," Mai repeated.

Joliette looked at her just as Mai's brow creased; tears filled her eyes again before she pressed her hands to her face and started to cry.

"He took them!" she sobbed, "They're gone! What if they're dead? What if he killed them?"

"What are you talking about?" Joliette asked, stunned.

"What do I do?" Mai cried. "I shouldn't have got Kazimir involved! Why didn't he go away with Dalton? Now they're all gone and he was the only one who could have helped!"

"All? What?"

"He took all of them!"

"He? The... The Black Rabbit?"

Mai wailed and dug her nails into her skin until Joliette forced her hands down.

"Took them? All of them? Mai, are you talking about your sisters?"

"He said they're all gone! I'm the only one left! I still don't know anything! How can I get them back before I run out of time! Why did he have to take them all at once? I needed more time!"

"He didn't do anything."

Mai blinked, her tears stopping before she looked at Joliette.

Joliette smiled at her. "Don't worry; I'm sure it wasn't The Black Rabbit," she said, "Why would The Midnight Troop do something like that? They're famous, remember? They wouldn't do something like that."

"What are you talking about?" Mai snapped, "I know he did!"

"No, don't be silly. I know you're worry, but they're just a circus. They were just passing by, it's just a coincidence," Joliette said.

Mai gaped at her then shoved her back and stumbling to her feet, staring at her as Joliette gracefully got to her feet and smiled a somewhat empty smile.

"It's just a coincidence," she said.

Mai drew away from her, brow furrowed, mouth twisted as she looked her lady-in-waiting up and down before she turned an headed for the palace, Joliette following, completely unconcerned.

Hurrying inside, Mai grabbed the nearest guard.

"The princesses have all been stolen! The Midnight Troop is behind it!" she said, looking up at him.

The guard stared at her. "I'll inform the Captain of The Guard immediately, Your Highness," he said, "We'll send out search parties to ride to their last location and take it from there." Then he smiled at her. "But I'm sure The Midnight Troop had nothing to do with it, they wouldn't risk their reputation with such things. All a coincidence."

Mai stared at him, slowly letting go.

She was quiet for a moment as Joliette waved the guard away, then looked around.

An older courtier was passing. She was a woman who had commanded her estate for nearly a century, clever and wise and un-fooled by anyone.

"Lady Stephania!" she called, running to her.