The Goblin Kingdom

The standing-ovation roared through the theatre as Mai took her final curtsy of the night. Another show of Sleeping Beauty closed as the curtains came down and they listened to the audience begin to filter out.

Her company bid her goodbye as Mai was hurried away by her staff to change out of her costume and into a gown.

She was already massively late for the ball at the palace and she refused to miss The Midnight Troop's show.

The campground gates had never opened the day before. She hadn't seen The Black Rabbit, not even glimpsed a pointed ear throughout the day and Kazimir had given her a most disapproving of looks when she'd suggested he throw her over the gates – reminding her that breaking and entering was all very well and good until she broke an ankle and ended her dancing career.

So she had had to wait. She had attended classes and rehearsal then returned to the palace before leaving again to attend the opera.

The next morning the gates still didn't open and she had needed to attend her classes and rehearsals before her show that night.

With adrenaline still coursing through her, her staff rushed to soften her makeup out of it exaggerated state for the stage, swapped her uncomfortable tutu for a body-shaping gown of gold and uncurled her hair from its bun and into a waterfall of golden orchids.

She then rushed into a carriage and headed home to the palace where she could hear the music and laughter beyond the palace walls.

Henrietta and Joliette were there to meet her – which surprised her since she hadn't excused them yet – but she was too late to comment and the trio rushed for the ballroom, her ladies only pausing once to smooth out her hair, dress and makeup right before she entered the ballroom that was already in full swing.

She wasn't introduced.

Just slipped in and avoided much attention, so that people might not realise when she had arrived.

She had managed to find a drink and settle her racing heart by the time someone found her.

"Darling, there you are," Lady Ophelia said, gliding over into a stunning green gown, using her bustle to boot a young man out of her way when he didn't step aside for her before wrapping Mai in a hug.

"Ophelia, how are you?" Mai said.

"I feel like I haven't seen you all day!"

"Oh, busy, busy," Mai said, smiling.

"Oh I can imagine. Well I'm glad you're here. You must convince Dalton's charming brother to join us at the show tonight."

Mai looked blankly at her for a moment. "Charming?" she copied.

"Well I'm being polite, of course."

"Of course," Mai said, rolling her eyes before looking around for Kazimir. "Where is he?"

"Skulking on a balcony I believe. I cannot believe he is the long lost brother of the truly charming Dalton."

Mai gave a wincing smile at that. "Kaz is..."

"Antisocial."

"I was going to say quiet but yes. This isn't really his world."

"Well regardless, I insist you make him join us."

"I can but try."

And she did try. She found Kazimir out on a balcony, sat on one of the chairs out there with a drink, talking to Daphne.