The Final Curtain

Griffin pulled Mai out of the water when they resurfaced and set her on dry land again, her tail giving way to legs and her top shimmering back into her gown.

"What did you do down there?" he said, staring at them, "What was that shock wave?"

"What was what?" Kazimir said, frowning up at him.

"The shock wave. It went across the entire island," Griffin said, staring at the blank expressions. "Did you feel it? Did nothing happen down there?"

"There's nothing down there," Mai said, tapping her hair to send it coiling into a graceful knot, tendrils coiling around her shoulders.

Griffin frowned, then looked back towards the palace. "Was it Reve?" he muttered.

Kazimir pushed himself out of the water and transformed, changing into his clothes before they all made their way back through the gardens, passed the orchard and into the palace.

"Sorry, Kazimir, but it's really time I take you back," Griffin said as they reached the entrance hall. "Reve must be back and I don't want him seeing you."

"Wait, you brought him here?" Mai asked.

"It's what you wanted, right?" Griffin said, "I'll take him back and meet you in your rooms?"

"Sure," Mai said, reaching over and hugging Kazimir. "I'll see you soon," she said.

"Let's hope so," Kazimir said as he turned away.

"Wh— what are you doing here?"

All three looked up to see Reve on one of the balconies above, staring at them in shock.

Reve stood on one of the upper levels, staring down at them in pure shock.

"Reve," Griffin said quickly, pushing Kazimir behind him, "I was just sending him back."

"Sending him back? What is he doing here?" Reve snarled, striding towards the stairs.

"It was Mai's gift. You promised. She found the door," Griffin said, keeping both Kazimir and Mai behind him as he turned to follow Reve's movements. "Please, Reve. She just wanted to see her friend."

"And she could have seen him until she pulled that stunt in the banquet halls! I told you he wasn't coming up. Why did you let so much power into the upper levels! Without me even here to supress it?"

"He didn't do anything, they just talked," Griffin said.

"And that's why you're coming in from the gardens? That's why something shook the palace!?" Reve shouted, rounding the balustrade and sweeping down the main stairs.

"Nothing happened," Mai said and Griffin quickly pushed her back.

"MOVE!" Reve screamed, waving a hand through the air.

Mai and Griffin were ripped to the side, hurling to the left and right, slamming to the floor, leaving Kazimir alone in the centre of the hall.

Mai's head snapped up to see Reve storming towards Kazimir, his eyes baring death down upon all who looked at him.

Kazimir didn't move, his hands in his pockets until Reve was so close they nearly collided, chest to chest, eye to eye, staring each other down.

And Kazimir was stupid enough to smile.

"Am I supposed to be afraid?" he asked.

Reve touched Kazimir's chest, right over his heart, with the tip of his fingers and Kazimir was sent flying backwards, crashing into the wall above the entranceway.