It was Just the Beginning

Frank looks like this:

Gerard looks like this:

And they're both six years old in the start

~

From the moment Frank Iero laid his eyes upon Gerard Way, the happy boy standing in the playground, his world stopped spinning.

From his sparkling hazel eyes, to his chubby cheeks and most importantly his little teeth which Frank found adorable.

Frank had only just arrived at the elementary school and he already hated it, all the other children looked bratty and gross and the building was pretty big and intimidating. In all of Frank's brief life so far, he had never been one to make friends. He wasn't much of a people's person and quite frankly he didn't enjoy other people's company.

Frank had found the most secluded area of the playground and had quietly sat there waiting for the dreadful classes to start, trying to pretend nobody else existed.

Most of the other kids on the playground were either sobbing violently while whining for their mommies and daddies or excitedly making new friends and sharing their little six year old interests. Frank wasn't that torn up about his parents leaving him, his family was quite...overbearing, and he knew that it was all a part of the grand scheme of growing up.

Frank was quite the mature six year old.

He had first noticed Gerard when he had heard what he thought was the most magical sound in the world. Frank had whipped his head up at the sound and noticed a chubby boy waving goodbye to who Frank assumed was his parents, and that boy was giggling.

It was like cotton candy for the ears-soft and sweet, and Frank wanted nothing more than to hear that sound on repeat all hours of the day.

Frank's eyes had watched the boy dart his eyes around the playground before he had noticed Frank's staring and confidently strode up to him.

And when the happy boy sat next to him and introduced himself, Frank knew that the two would be best friends.

"Hello, I'm Gerard. I like your shirt." Gerard let all his small teeth show as he pointed to Frank's Star Wars shirt.

"My name's Frank. I think you have really pretty eyes." Frank suddenly blurted out, his cheeks burning red as he fiddled with his hands in his lap.

Gerard's cheeks looked identical to Frank's as he placed a gentle kiss on Frank's burning cheek. Frank swore he felt his heart do somersaults.

"I like you, let's be friends." Gerard linked his arm with Frank's and the two spoke for ages about themselves until the school bell rang.

Thankfully they had been placed in the same class and the teacher had been kind enough to let the children pick who they sat next to, and you bet that Gerard and Frank chose to sit next to each other.

The two had become very close in the space of a week and knew almost everything there was to know about each other such as how Gerard had a younger brother named Mikey who was three years younger than him, Frank really loved the idea of guitars and tattoos and hoped to own both when he was older, Gerard was super interested in comics and drawing and they were both pretty much huge nerds. They shared many interests and spent nearly every afternoon together at one of their houses.

Also, Gerard had kissed Frank on the cheek a lot more after the day they met. They were always delicate and quick but in those seconds where Gerard soft lips were on Frank's pale cheek, it felt like heaven for both of them.

To Gerard the kisses were just a way to show their close friendship at first, nothing more. But Frank's parents had told him that kisses were a way to show that you loved someone, or even just liked them and this made Frank very confused.

Frank and Gerard's parents had also become close due to their sons spending so much time together and they could clearly see the bond between the two boys was special and more than just friendship. Both families made it very clear that they would accept their sons no matter what and would love them unconditionally which Frank and Gerard didn't really understand what they meant at the time.

Although Frank began to question his feelings towards Gerard when something had happened when they were in their last year of elementary school.

Over the past years both of them had grown very affectionate with each other, and they cuddled, hugged and gave each other cheek kisses regularly. It was a very normal thing to them, but yet no matter how many times they did things remotely intimate they still both blushed bright red and felt butterflies swarming through them.

Gerard and Frank were lying on Gerard's bed, bodies pressed tightly together for warmth as storm raged outside. Gerard knew Frank hated storms and he would let out small shrieks whenever the thunder boomed or the lightning flashed, so all Gerard could do was hold the smaller boy tightly in his arms and pepper his cheeks with kisses.

"G-Gerard I'm scared." Frank whispered through sobs.

"I know, Frankie." Gerard gently squeezed Frank. The smaller boy turned over so he was facing Gerard, their lips only a few millimeters away from each other. Gerard's dropped down to gaze at Frank's thin, pink lips, they looked so perfect.

"I know something that might help." Gerard softly stroked Frank's damp cheek, wiping away the tears.

"What?" Frank asked and before he could register what was happening Gerard's soft lips were on his. The moment was silent and perfect as magic and fireworks exploded inside both of them. The kiss was filled with love and passion and yet it was gentle and slow. Frank eventually felt Gerard pull away and he smiled lovingly. Frank was still frozen in shock or happiness-probably both.

Gerard intertwined their fingers without saying a word and Frank instinctively burrowed his face in the crook of Gerard's neck. He smelt really good, it was Gerard's natural scent and it smelt like honey and cinnamon for a reason Frank didn't know.

Both of them just lay there for a while, forgetting completely about the storm until Frank finally said something into Gerard's neck.

"Promise me you'll always stay with me. Promise me that next year when we go to big school nothing will change."

"I promise." Gerard buried his face in Frank's little mop of brown hair.

And Gerard kept his promise-

Unfortunately Frank didn't.