Chapter 1 - How I Meet Him

I wake up a bit later this morning, unlike any other days. The sun is nowhere to be seen, hidden behind the thick grey clouds that threaten to pour down a heavy rain. After I wash my face and shower, I go downstairs. 

"Good morning."

My sister greets me in her usually casual manner at the dining table. But her facial expression suggests to me that something bad has happened. And in this case, it is really bad.

"What's wrong, dear?" I ask her.

"Nothing is wrong." She replies unconvincingly.

 My eyes divert automatically at the piece of paper she is currently holding in her right hand. It seems to me that it is the 'something wrong' that bothers her mind right now.

I quickly grab the paper from her. She tries to take it back but it is too late. I read the title of the article out loud, "Top Celebrity Killed Mercilessly". The person in the picture resembles someone familiar to me. I gasp.

He is one of the group members whose voice I love to listen to the most. I remember sending an email to him and feeling excited a few minutes later when he actually replied my email a fortnight ago.

It turned out that we became good friends and we often emailed each other telling about how our day goes. We laughed together and cried together. Well, usually I was the one who cried a lot, but still, he was always there for me.

I also clearly remember that he personally emailed me a week ago that today he is supposed to perform in a concert in the city I live in. He even posted the tickets for me and my sister, knowing that we are his group's die-hard fans.

For the first time ever in my whole life, I am going to meet him. And now, he is gone, forever? My vision gets blurred and darkness surrounds me before I lose my consciousness.

***

I spend a few days later wandering off the streets alone in the city.

In all honesty, I do not even know what to do right now. The concert is cancelled by the group manager, of course. But deep down from the bottom of my heart, I silently hope that they will at least hold a gathering meeting in the remembrance of him.

But everything does not turn out the way I have expected. They just announced that all money will be returned back to the ticket buyers and that is it. I hear no more news about him. Everything is kept shut as if his passing away is unnoticed by anyone.

I feel quite empty, as if there is a big hole made within myself. I feel a part of myself left, together with him.

He was not even my family. He was just a friend who frequently sent emails to me, not more than that. Or is there anything more?

I am standing on the pavement, trying to cross the road when suddenly a fragrant whizz of wind brushes against my teary face.

I look across the road and see someone standing there looking straight at me. I am stunned. It is him. There is no doubt about it. But what is he doing here? Isn't he supposed to be, you know, dead?

***

I am clueless on what to do next. I want to run across the road and hug him tightly, being extremely happy that I can finally meet him. And at the same time, I feel like turning my back at him and running away, realising that he is not real and I am possibly hallucinating.

When I am having a hard time deciding on what to do next, he suddenly strolls over to me, crossing the road. And the fact that nobody else is there and the road is empty from any vehicle passing by also does not help, either.

His eyes are fixed on me, and I am able to see that his face looks eerily pale. I am scared to death as he gets nearer to me when suddenly he does something that calms me down.

He smiles, and this smile looks purely sincere.

Knowing that I won't be able to go anywhere else but to remain rooted on the spot, I greet him 'Hi' nervously.

He smiles again and says, "Hello, Tiara. Do you still remember me?"

I am frozen. I want to ask him the reason of why he is here, but I do not have the gut to ask him that.

As if knowing what I want to ask, he says, "T, I need your help please. You're the only one who can see me right now. I know that I am not supposed to still be here, but there's nothing that I can do about it. I have to find the person who has caused my death, and I also happen to find out that you're my soul mate. It is because you are unable to see any other spirit, except for me."

Without me realising it, I agree to help him find his murderer.

He also adds, "But we don't have much time. I am only given two weeks to discover my murderer."

Looking desperately into his eyes, I realise that his words are not a joke. If I can say that this is totally a dream, I would've just easily pinch myself and be awaken. But no, I cannot do that right now. Not in a matter regarding one's life and death.

"What happens if you fail to do so?" I ask him.

"I might be unable to reincarnate. My soul will forever not be in peace." He replies solemnly.

I gasp. "Okay. What are we going to do?" I ask him in a very serious tone. I make up my mind that this is going to be a really tough task, surely.

He looks at me and laughs. He says, "Not now, T. You look extremely lost. I guess we should get some fresh air and get you calmed down for a bit."

Again, I am paralysed. He has just mentioned that we need to find out who his murderer is in only two weeks’ time and he tells me to calm down? As far as I concern, he is totally someone with a warm heart. I think I am starting to like this guy.

After about half an hour later strolling at the park, I feel relaxed, surprisingly, thanks to him.

"I am calm right now. Will you please tell me what our next plan is?"

He sighs and takes some time to think. "I think we have to use your visa."

I become puzzled. "But why?"

He adds, "I am killed in my country, Korea. Thus, we have to be there to find out the person we've been looking for."

"Oh, I see." I mutter softly.

And so, our journey begins.