Chapter 9 - The Confession

I confess to him every single thing that has happened. I tell Junhyung the reason of why I first come to Korea and explain to him that I am able to see his spirit. I am quite afraid that he would be furious at me as we decide to keep it as a secret, but surprisingly, he volunteers to help us in finding out the murderer.

“He is one of the best friends that I have ever had. Of course, I would gladly help him out. However, is it okay if I tell the rest of the group members? I mean, it won’t be easy doing this alone on your own.”

I simply agree to his suggestion. “We should really get going, Junhyung.”

“Okay, try to keep out of trouble and take care of yourself.”

Figures, I think I have been hearing that a lot lately.

 I drive to the place that Hyunseung has told me before. Nobody is there yet. I immediately park the car in a hidden spot and turn the car engine off. We wait for about an hour.

Suddenly, two cars arrive at the place not quite far from our location. Minnie comes out of her car, bringing the handkerchief in her hand. A man gets out from another car and walks towards her.

Hyunseung gasps. “He is my father!” He whispers.

Minnie seems to be frightened and at the same time, the man looks as if he is threatening her. I immediately get out of the car to defend her.

Upon seeing me, the man looks utterly shocked. He immediately spits at her. “How dare you bring a friend here? I told you earlier that you must come alone.”

I shook my head. “No, she does not bring me here. I come here on my own.”

He immediately pulls out a knife from the pocket of his jacket. “Since you have betrayed me, I will kill both of you. Do you have any last wish?” He snickers.

Hyunseung signals to me that I should just run away. I refuse. I quickly ask his father. “What happens to him? Did both of you kill him?”

Letting out a devilish laugh, he replies, “As you are already going to die in my hands, let me tell you the truth. Yes, I am the one who murdered him. He refused to help me out when I ask for more money and reported me to the police instead.”

“But how come Minnie is involved? I do not see any reason of why she has to kill him.” I ask him curiously.

He continues, “That is how a criminal’s mind works. I only used her as a black sheep so that if the murderer is discovered, she would get punished while I would be able to get myself away.”

 I become more puzzled than ever. “But Minnie, why did you do so? You are not a bad person. How can you kill him?”

She lets out a long sigh. “I know that killing someone is the worst crime to be committed towards human beings. I don’t have a choice. This man threatens to let my secret out to the police if I refuse to kill him. The property and wealth that I possess is actually not mine. My late mother took it from Hyunseung’s mother. They were stepsisters.”

I almost lose my grip. My legs feel weak.

She continues. “She forged a signature that changed the content of my grandfather’s will. I have inherited that all when I finally met him. I fell in love with him without knowing his real identity. That is why I do not want to break up with him. If he ever claims his wealth back, I would be nothing. Almost all my properties will be taken away and given to him, including the house that I am currently residing in.”

The man cuts her words off. “We have had enough with the talking! Now let us get back to our business.”

He tries to stab the knife at Minnie. I immediately pull her away from the spot. I only remember hearing the sound of a woman screaming and the police siren before everything becomes pitch black.