Chapter 6 - Going Out Together

I wake up when I feel something cold touches my face. I open up my eyes and I see Hyunseung kneeling over by the bed.

“What’s wrong?” He asks.

I reply. “What do you mean by that? I was sleeping.”

He insists. “No, I mean what is wrong? You were crying earlier in your sleep.”

Being utterly shocked, I quickly touch my face. Sure enough, it is wet and I did cry.

He asks again. “Would you mind to explain that to me?”

I try recalling my dream. “All I remember is I have a dream and it seems so real. You were there in my dream and apart from that, I remember nothing else.”

He immediately lets out a sigh of relief before smiling. “Luckily, it is just a dream. I think you should be getting up from the bed. It is already ten o’clock in the morning. We have somewhere to go today.”

Looking a little tad bit of surprised, I ask him. “Is it true? Where are we going?”

He replies, “It is still a secret.”

***

After I get myself ready to go out, I look for him. He is not around. Trying hard to remember back my dream, I know that it is not just a dream. It is definitely something important that relates to Hyunseung. I remember that I definitely have seen a handkerchief. The handkerchief is purple.

“Why are you frowning like that? It’s not good, you know. You might age faster.”

My heart almost falls out of place.

“You make me shocked! Don’t you learn not to disturb someone when he or she is working hard on doing something?” I ask him in disbelief.

“But I don’t see you doing anything. You were just staring out into space when I came in earlier.”

I sigh. “I was trying to remember the dream that I had yesterday.”

“But it’s just a dream.”

I cut him off. “I strongly think that it is not just a dream. Since I have seen you in it, perhaps it might be a clue that will lead us to the solution of this puzzle. We might discover the one or the ones who got you killed.” I say to him.

“Another thing you should know about me is I rarely have dreams that seem so real. I had the last one three years ago about my grandfather dying of tuberculosis and it did come true.”

I look at his face. His is very pale and gravely white. Even so, the eyes look very warm and lively.

“Look, I know that it is very rude of me to bring up your death into the topic of our conversation when you just want to relax and talk with me. But seriously, I just cannot get my head out of it.”

He looks at me and forces a smile. “It’s okay, T. I know that you didn’t mean to. You wouldn’t.”

Trying to change the topic, I smile at him playfully. “Okay then. Well, what are we going to do today? Are we going out to play?”

He bursts into a laugh. “Relax, T. I know that you’re trying hard to cheer me up. But don’t make it that obvious and artificial.”

I cough purposely. “Please, I won’t do that. Trust me.”

He responds while grinning from ear to ear, “Like I will.”

*** 

After I have a light breakfast of some juice and omelette, we set out on our journey. He is the one giving the instructions while I drive.

“Speaking of which, how many days do you still have?”

 He frowns to think for a while.

“Hey, that’s not fair! You’ve told me earlier not to frown but now you are frowning.”

 “Well, I won’t age anymore.”

Absent-mindedly, I roll my eyes.

“Based on my calculation, today is the fifth day. I guess we have another nine days to go.”

My eyes widen.

“Don’t look that surprised. Today, we really are going to go out and play.”

When I open up my mouth to speak, he immediately says, “Thanks, T for helping me. Today, let us just free ourselves from any problems and chill out.”

We finally arrive at the destination we head for. The place is actually a waterfall. There are many people who come to have a picnic and relax.

I immediately put my earphone on to fake a conversation on the phone as I will be talking to him sooner or later when we walk around there. My stomach suddenly growls. Then only I do realise that I have been driving for about three hours without stopping anywhere to eat.

Smiling, he suggests that we go to the ramyeon eatery nearby the waterfall which I find as a relief.

The old lady at the stall greets us welcomingly. I quickly order a bowl of egg ramyeon and pretending to talk on the phone while conversing with him. He sits right next to me.

We talk about a lot of things. He shares his experiences of being in the middle school. He tells me that he was once bullied. The guy asked him to do his homework and insulted him in front of everyone else in the school by telling him loudly and clearly that someday he would definitely become a murderer, just like his father.

My eyes go watery as he tells me the bittersweet experiences of his life. I definitely know that kind of feeling of being unwanted and hated. Unlike him, I did not have the experience of being bullied. To be honest to say, I am adopted. Previously, I did have wonderful parents who took care of me well.

Until one day, I finally lost them forever.