Chapter 7 - The Fateful Encounter

The day was particularly a lovely sunny day. I asked my parents to go out as it was a Sunday. At first, they were quite reluctant to do so as they only planned to stay at home and relax. Being a small child as I was only five years old, I persuaded them to go have a picnic somewhere near the beach. They finally agreed.

 We all got ourselves prepared to go out. Mommy’s cooking had always been delicious, especially on that day. She cooked a great deal of dishes, even those that I had never eaten before for my entire life. Little I did know at that time that there were the last I would have as the symbol of tender care from Mommy.

We finally arrived at the beach. We decided to have our picnic first. Right as soon as I finished eating, I built the sandcastle. Even Daddy played along with me. We had a wonderful time collecting the seashells and I showed them to Mommy. She creatively turned them into a wonderful bracelet. She put them into my pouch on the mat.

Mommy and Daddy had some conversation while I continuously played by the seashore. Dying to know how it feels like to swim, I quickly run into the water.

Suddenly, I felt that I was unable to breathe. I screamed and cried for their help. Luckily, they heard me and they came running to save me. Daddy tried to save me by pulling me onto the sand. Mommy came to retrieve me from him. I cried because I almost died of drowning since I did not know how to swim. My parents consoled me and they decided to take me home.

On the way back home, I managed to get myself calm. I did not talk much during the trip. Without us expecting, there was a landslide right after the road junction. My father who was driving at that time lost the car control. The car immediately crashed into a big tree. He and my mother who sat at the front were badly injured. Luckily, mother had had me wearing the seatbelt at the passenger’s seat at the back. I only got a few small cuts.

I distinctly remember what happened during that time. I tried to call my father and mother but there was no reply from any of them. I quickly called out for help.

Luckily, there was one car passing by and stopped to help us. The woman driver called for an ambulance. A few minutes later, we were sent to the hospital.

I only received a few stitches. Daddy passed away as he had lost a lot of blood when his head hit the steering wheel hard. Mommy, on the other hand, was in a comma. The nurses took care of me at the hospital as I only had my father and mother in my family.

As I could only see my mother lying on the hospital bed, frequently the question that I would ask them is the whereabouts of my father. The response that I would always receive is only the pitiful look from them. After a while, I realised that my father was no longer there with us.

I prayed all day and night so that my mother would wake up. She was my last hope.

My wish did come true. After being in the state of comatose for about three weeks, she finally opened her eyes. I was there, right next to her bed. She smiled and told me to take a good care of myself. Being quite terrified, I asked where she was going.

“Mommy just woke up from a bad dream. I will be going to go to a faraway place and I won’t be able to see you soon.”

Tears streamed out of my eyes. “Mommy, can I please go with you?”

She shook her head weakly and said, “No, my dear. You won’t be going together with me. The time would not be now, at least. Please promise me that you will be a good girl. Take a good care of yourself. We will always be with you, sweetie.” With these last words, she finally left me.

 I went into a total mental breakdown after that. As I had no one else to take care of me, I was sent to the orphanage. I had a rough time adapting myself to the new environment and some older kids even dare to mess up with me.

I was then adopted by a married woman who did not have a child. I called her Mother. I was there for about two years. Mother took a great care of me that reminded me very much of my mother.

However, her husband did not like me. In other words, he hated me. Due to his jealousy as his wife only cared for me, he decided to throw me out. He took me out on one Friday evening with the excuse of “taking me out for a walk”. He then left me at another orphanage. I never saw her again from that day onwards.

 I finally accepted my fate that I did not deserve any love from anyone. I was quite taken aback to the fact that my adopted father even abandoned me.

My luck changed on one fateful day. A woman finally came to get me. She was not someone I knew, but I distinctly remember her face. She then told me that she was the one who called the ambulance during the accident. She reveals that she decided to adopt me after getting the permission from her husband and daughter. She told me to call her “Mom”.

Mom and Dad are the parents that I have right now. Lisa is my younger sister. I finally enjoy living my life. I realise that my late mother’s words are true enough. I won’t be alone.

***

After I finish telling him about my life, Hyunseung is at loss for any words to say. And so does the old lady.

I am quite surprised when she is the one to break the silence. “I am sorry, Miss for interrupting your conversation. I do not mean to eavesdrop, but I only have one question to ask. Are you, by any chance, Tiara?”

I am quite confused. How does she know my name?

As I silently nod, the look of recognition flashes across her face. She quickly grabs me by the hand and smiles.

“Don’t you know me? I am Mother.”

***

My eyes are watery. I thought that I would never see her again. We chat for about an hour to catch up on ourselves.

She told me that right after she lost me, they had a huge fight. Her husband divorced her. She then decided to go back to her hometown. She has been living here for years.

I am utterly shocked. It is wonderful how fate really is. We even exchanged phone numbers. He only listens intently throughout the conversation.

I finally excuse myself to go as it is already late in the evening. She even packs us some ddubokki, the Korean crispy spicy rice snacks. I am very grateful for he has brought me to this place. I cry happily as I hug her before saying goodbye. She smiles at me, making her face looks much younger than before.

In the car, he looks very happy. I thank him for taking me there.

He replies, “I am so happy for you. I hope that you will appreciate your life more and receive a lot of love from people around you. You deserve it.”

I am touched upon hearing his words. “That is so sweet of you. Thank you so much. I also wish you all the best.”