Chapter 10 - Waking Up From A Deep Sleep

I am in a very beautiful garden. I can vividly hear the sound of birds chirping loudly. I can also feel the breezy wind.

Suddenly, I notice a woman in a white dress walking towards me. She is someone who resembles Hyunseung, of whom I assume as his mother. She is a very beautiful lady indeed.

As soon as she opens her mouth to speak, I realise that there are only two possibilities; it is either I am in a dream or I am already dead. She seems to know what I am thinking about.

“Fear not, my dear. You have not left this world yet. Right now, you are in the hospital.” Her lips curve to form a smile.

“How is it possible for me to be able to meet you?” I ask, frowning.

She replies. “Actually, I am the one who wants to meet you. I would like to thank you for taking care of my son when he needs your help the most. You’ve also helped him to find out his murderer. I know that it is hard for you to believe this but actually you are related to him, in a way. Do you still remember your first foster mother?”

“Do you mean Mother?”

She nods. “His ex-husband is actually my late husband, the father of the twin boys. He got married to me after few months he divorced her.”

I gasp. “What do you mean by ‘late husband’? Are you telling me that...?”

“Yes, he has already passed away. The police got there and shot him dead. He deserved to be punished that way. That old man never learnt from his mistakes.”

Let bygones be bygones. He is finally punished for what he did.

I quickly ask her, “How are you coping with your own life right now?”

She smiles, and it is the purest smile I’ve ever seen. “Do not worry about me, sweetie. I am doing just fine.”

“What about him? Has he already left?”

“He is still there, waiting for you at the hospital. If you really want to see him, you’d better wake up quickly before he is gone forever.”

I smile back at her. “I promise I will try to.”

 The next thing I see when I blink my eyes, I realise that I am in a hospital room.

I see him sitting on the chair near the bed. His face looks paler than ever. He finally notices that I am awake. He smiles at me.

“Thank God, you have gained your consciousness.”

I smile back weakly at him.

We stay like this for a moment until Minnie comes in. She quickly calls the nurse in to check on my condition. She then informs the boys who are waiting patiently outside the room. I hear cheers erupted from the boys until someone reminds them to be silent. I smile.

Ten minutes later, they are allowed to come into the room and visit me. They all greet me merrily. As we have already known what has happened, I ask Minnie regarding the case.

She says, “The police found your recorder. It has the evidence showing that I am not guilty. I escape the death sentence punishment. However, I have to be imprisoned for about five years because I did help the criminal in committing the murder. I am very grateful for you have come here, Tiara. I finally do not have to live my life in fear of being discovered for the crime act I commit.”

I smile in reply.

“Tomorrow, the police will be going to take me. Would you spend some of your time today with me?”

I say, “I wouldn’t mind that at all. It would be lovely to have you here.”

She holds my hand gently and tightly.

***

Since I am still unable to go out far from the hospital, we only walk around in the hospital park. Minnie tells me what has really happened.

During the fateful night, I got stabbed at my leg right after I pulled her away. I then fell down and my head hit hard on the ground. I lost my consciousness.

My leg is still sore after undergoing a surgery. She does not mind pushing me around on a wheelchair. She knows that I am not fully recovered yet.

We chat and talk about ourselves. She feels like a completely different person to me. Now only I do understand that people are not bad. Sometimes, they only do bad things out of desperation.

We get back to the hospital room three hours later. By the time we arrive there, it is already one o’clock in the evening.

“Minnie, how long have I been unconsciously lying on the hospital bed?”

She replies, “It has been four days since the incident happened.”

If that is the case, perhaps there are still three days left for him to be here. I think. “Thank you Minnie for accompanying me the whole day.”

“You are most welcome. By the way, is it okay if I leave you all by yourself at here? I have to go now because I need to settle things before undergoing the imprisonment punishment.”

I shook my head. “No, it is okay. I hope that everything goes well.”

She smiles at me. “Thanks Tiara, for being with me at here. I really appreciate that. I think I’d better get myself going by now. I have an important appointment at two o’clock.”

We bid our farewell to each other.

“Take care, Minnie. I hope that we will meet again after five years.”

Minnie replies while looking at me, smiling. “I do hope so.”