Chapter 4 - The Promise

Waking up the next day, I do not see Hyunseung around in the room. Feeling a little bit uneasy and anxious, I look around inside the house.

I am almost struck by a massive blow of panic attack when I suddenly notice him at the balcony, enjoying the crisp breezy morning air. Feeling totally relieved, I smile at him.

He smiles back. "Good morning, T. Do you miss me already? Do not worry, I would not go anywhere without your permission. I promise you."

***

"Hello, Hyunjun." We greet his brother at the mental hospital.

I can see that his condition is improving. He no longer mops around at a lonely corner of the room. Instead, he is reading a newspaper and smiles when he sees us.

 "Good morning," he replies.

After asking him how he feels today, we continue our unfinished conversation yesterday.

 "What happened to both of you next?" I ask.

He replies, "We were sent to the orphanage. A few months later, I was diagnosed with PTSD. It was my brother who took care of me. He worked at clubs as a singer for about two years. Luckily, he was offered the contract to be a vocalist in a group under the management of Cube Entertainment. His luck did not stop there. He earned a huge sum of money monthly as his pay. With the money, he could afford to send me for my medical treatment."

He smiles, before continuing, "My condition started to get better, and we led quite a happy life. That was before our father came into the picture. He was released six months ago. I do not know how he did it, but he managed to escape from the whole life imprisonment punishment."

Swallowing hard, he adds. "He started to come to see us. We were both anxious when we saw him for the first time after his release. I clearly remembered that I cried. Every time I saw him, I became traumatic. My PTSD became worse. I also started to discover that I was gifted with the ability to see the unseen. Most people started to think that I was crazy. So, three months ago, I was admitted into this hospital." He becomes silent.

Knowing that his younger brother is deeply hurt, Hyunseung continues, "He started to ask for money. When we refused to give him what he wanted, he became violent. So, in the end, we had to give in.”

“So, did both of you do anything to stop him?” I ask out of curiosity.

He replies, “Yes, we did. I tried to report him to the police for threatening us. But, even while he was on the run, somehow or rather he managed to come and see us. So, in the end, we have no choice other than to keep giving him money.”

Hyunseung sighs. His face looks so sullen whenever the subject of his father is brought up.

Clearing my throat, I start to change the topic. “So, I heard yesterday from your group members that you did have a girlfriend.”

Hyunjun is utterly shocked. “Oh, did you, hyung? I thought that you didn't have any.”

Hyunseung smiles apologetically at his brother. “I’m sorry I did not tell you about that.”

After another sigh, he continues. “She is one of the fanatic fans of the group. Once, she had forced me to accept her as my girlfriend and threaten to commit suicide if I did not do so. The threatening had gotten very serious as she was admitted to the hospital for cutting herself a lot due to the depression of being rejected by me. I did not know what else to be done for some people blamed me for that. I do not want to be a murderer. I have had enough with only one murderer in the family, which is that rotten bastard. I do not want to be someone like my father.”

Hyunjun tries to calm him down. “It’s okay, brother. At least, we have already known that you will never be a murderer.”

He becomes unruffled. A smirk escapes his lips. “And that is because I am already dead. What an amusing way to keep me cheerful, Hyunjun.”

 I am the last person to find out what the joke is all about. All I can even mutter is an “Oh.”

Hyunseung smiles at me. “You know, T. Sometimes, you can be utterly smart. However, there are times when you are completely dumbfounded.”

*** 

After bidding goodbye to Hyunjun, we leave the hospital. We decide to buy some food for the boys before returning home.

After a quick sweep through the city, we stop at the park. Both Hyunseung and I enjoy the serenity of being near to Nature. We walk around for about one hour. When it is almost nightfall, we watch the sunset.

“It is amazing, isn’t it? I have watched the sun setting for many times before but this is the first time of me noticing its beauty. How time can change a person’s perspective of life.” He comments.

I add, “Well, everything happens for a reason. So, enjoy our life when we still can.”

We remain standing there until the sky has completely turned dark and the glimmering stars appear.

“I wish when I am gone later, I will be one of those brilliantly shining stars. If that really happens, then I would be able to see my beloved ones, those whom I have left behind.”

He stares at me, looking rather surprised. “What do you mean by that, T? You still have a long way to go, unlike me. You should just enjoy your life, as what you have said earlier.”

I bit back a remark. “Well, we never know what will happen in future.”

He says, “Don’t say anything that you’ve never wished for to happen, T. As for me, I hope I will be a brilliantly shining star just like what you’ve wished for. Then, I will be able to keep an eye out on Hyunjun and also you.”

I look at him for a while before saying to him. “Thank you.”

 ***

On the way back, we chat amicably while listening to the radio. We joke around and laugh a lot.

My bad mood seems to get better. I feel really grateful towards everyone around me, including my sister and my parents. When I think of it, it seems like there are so much things in my life that I have disregarded to appreciate.

Sometimes, you have to face difficulties in order to experience happiness. And the most important factor that will help you to achieve all that is your family. Without anyone for you to rely on for support, you are most likely to break down and fall, shattering to pieces.

He makes me startled when he actually whispers at my ear, saying “I hope that you will take a good care of my brother when I am no longer here later. He needs you, as much as I do.”