Chapter 12 - Time Is Running Out

I wake up the next day, from a very weird dream.

In the dream, I am with someone who looks like him. He holds my hand tightly as we enjoy the walk along a beach.

He is staring through the window when I open my eyes. He glances at me when he notices that I’ve woken up. “Good morning, T. Do you have a good sleep?”

I smile at him.

The nurse comes in. “Hello, Tiara. Do you feel well today? If your condition has improved, you can get discharged early today.”

I greet her back. “Good morning. Yes, please do so. I can’t wait to go home.”

After checking the condition of my left leg, she says, “As expected, your wound has recovered. There is no complication. I strongly believe that you can go home today.”

I smile at her out of gratitude. “Thank you for your help. Have a good day.”

She smiles before leaving the room.

I turn to face him. “Yes, I can go back today!”

“Well, what should we do today?” He asks.

“I think I’ll just meet the boys up with your brother. You can also bid farewell to him.”

He agrees to the suggestion.

 As soon as we arrive home, the boys are all there.

Gikwang and Dujun are watching the television. Junhyung and Dongwoon are playing games. Yoseob is sitting on a chair, reading the newspaper. They are very glad that we are home.

“Hello guys. Do you have anything to do today?” I ask them all happy.

Yoseob replies to me, putting down his paper. “No noona, we are free today.”

“Great! Would you guys like to visit Hyunseung’s brother, Hyunjun?” A smile escapes my lips.

“We would love to!” Dongwoon shoots up, leaving the Wii on the floor.

Junhyung shouts out in excitement. “Yes! I win!”

Dujun gives him a look. And sure enough, it keeps him silent.

Twenty minutes later, we all get into the MPV to go see him.

***

Hyunjun is sitting on his bed, reading a magazine. He smiles and greets us politely when we come in. We greet him back.

“We are all hoping to see you, Hyunjun. And your brother will be leaving tomorrow. He would like to bid farewell to you.” I say to him as we take our seats.

“Oh, I see. Hello, hyung!” He says merrily as he waves at him.

Gikwang lets his mouth hang open. “Daebak! Can you really see him?”

Hyunjun puts his hand on his neck, looking embarrassed. “Luckily, I can.”

He and the boys have a chat. They talk animatedly among them. Once in a while, I would interrupt their conversation. Hyunseung only listens to them.

We spend the whole day at his ward. We have a wonderful time together. Hyunjun even makes jokes and laughs together with the boys. I can see that he is really happy.

We also tell him about everything that has happened the days before. He is quite relieved that I am just fine. He totally agrees with his brother that I should have just run away when his father threatened to kill me.

He says to me, his face looking serious. “It is very lucky that you are safe.”

He also thanks the boys for helping his brother in finding the murderer.

Yoseob says, “It is not a big deal, Hyunjun. Hyunseung is our good friend indeed, after all.”

At around eleven p.m., we excuse ourselves to go back. I mentally sigh. Now, it is the time to say goodbye.

Hyunseung talks to his brother for a moment. “Hyunjun, I know that for all this while, I have not been a good brother to you. Please forgive me for not always stay by your side when you need me. I have always been busy with my commitment as a singer that I do not visit you that often.”

Hyunjun shakes his head. “Hyung, I never think that you have been awful to me. Thank you for being a very attentive brother, who always look out for me and care for me. I am also sorry that I am unable to go together with you. Hopefully, we will meet again in the next life.”

They smile at each other and as he bids goodbye to his brother, I can see that both of them are crying.

Suddenly, he looks at me.

“Thank you, Tiara for being my good friend for all this while. You’ve been a wonderful angel that helps me find my way to the afterlife. I hope that you will be able to find someone whom you can share happiness and sadness, the one who will always be with you through thick or thin. I am very sorry for I have to leave you all on your own. If it is meant to be, I wish we will be together again in our next life.” He says.

I am speechless after hearing what he has to say.

“It’s time for me to go. Don’t you want to say goodbye to me?” He asks.

I gently wipe out streaks of tears flowing down on my cheeks. “Goodbye Hyunseung. Hopefully, the wish comes true.”

He smiles. The other group members also bid goodbye to him.

“Take care, Hyunseung.” Dujun says.

“Be careful with the harps.” Gikwang jokes.

“Don’t forget us.” Dongwoon reminds him.

Yoseob says, “We will always love you.”

Junhyung adds, “Thank you for being such a good friend to us for all this while. Have a safe trip.”

“Goodbye, my friend. Till we meet again.” Gikwang finally says to him seriously.

Hyunseung smiles and looks at everyone. A light suddenly appears.

Before he walks into it, he says his last words to me, “I love you.”

He is then gone.