Chapter 8 - Busted

As I wake up on the next day, I look up the blue sky throughout the window. It is a very beautiful morning. I can see flocks of birds flying happily across the city. I can also see the sun shining brightly.

Today is the sixth day. There are only eight days left. I vividly remember that the only clue that I have to find the murderer is the purple handkerchief. Hopefully, God will help me throughout this. Only He knows how much I really need that.

 After I put a light dust of makeup, I go downstairs. I notice Hyunseung relaxing on the chair at the dining table. The boys are at home today. They are happily chatting at the sitting room on the sofa. Unexpectedly, I see someone familiar.

Minnie waves her hand at me. “I’ve been waiting for you. Would you mind if we go out for a while to have a cup of tea?”

 We go to the cafe next to a bakery in the city. He is also there as I drive. Minnie goes there by her own car.

As soon as we arrive, the waiter comes to take the order. Minnie orders a cup of Americano while I get myself a cup of tea. We chat while waiting for our drinks. We have a light conversation, asking each other how one is coping and stuffs.

 After a while, she excuses herself to the toilet. The waiter who comes to bring our order comes. He accidentally spills the tea I have ordered on my dress.

The young waiter apologises fervently to me. “I am so sorry, miss. I didn’t mean to do it.”

“It’s okay, really. You did not do it on purpose, anyway.” I quickly excuse myself to the toilet.

As soon as I arrive at the toilet, I go to the sink to wash off the spilt tea from my dress. Suddenly, there is the sound of phone ringing in the toilet.

The voice of Minnie answers the call. “Hello? Why do you have to call me right now? Haven’t we promised that we will meet up at the dam?”

The voice from the other end keeps on talking.

“I know, I know. You don’t have to remind me of that. The evidence is well kept. We will dispose it tonight.”

By the time the phone call ends, I’ve already finished washing the stain. I silently walk out and sit back at the table. I do not know why, but I think Minnie is up to something not good. Call it assuming or accusing, I do not deny the possibility that she is related to the murder.

He notices my facial expression before he asks, “What’s wrong, T?”

After I put on my earphones, I answer him. “I think we are getting the final bit of the puzzle we are working out.”

Ten minutes later, Minnie comes. “I am so sorry that I am late. I had quite a terrible stomach ache earlier.” She smiles.

“It is okay, Minnie. Let’s finish our drinks. They are getting cold.”

We continue our conversation. She immediately asks about my relationship with the boys, especially Hyunseung and how we are acquainted to each other. She also asks me the reason of why I come to Korea.

I quickly make up an answer for the second question. “I come here to meet my foster mother. So, I decide that while I am here, I will also visit the boys as well.”

Minnie seems to be convinced with my words.

We left the cafe at around two o’clock in the evening. She invites me to go shopping with her. I agree to her suggestion.

I notice that she really is a good friend. She knows how to show care and concern for others. I wonder why he dislikes her. To me, she is such a lovely girl. Minnie buys a lot of things, especially dresses and accessories since she really loves to dress herself up. On the other hand, I do not like to shop that much. In the end, I only get myself a shawl that has some beautiful nature prints on it. I truly love it. Even Minnie agrees that it is nice.

 After we have fun going out for shopping, we bid goodbyes to each other.

“It is such a wonderful pleasure to meet you, Minnie.”

She smiles beautifully and says, “I am also thrilled to be with you, Tiara. I really hope that we can be good friends.”

As she takes her phone out of her handbag to take my phone number, I see a purple handkerchief. The dream I had the day before yesterday flashes in my mind.

***       

We bid goodbyes to each other. I glance at my watch. It is already six o’clock in the evening.

Hyunseung, as quiet as ever, is sitting right next to me in the car. After I wear my earphones, I immediately tell him everything that has happened earlier at the toilet.

He frowns. “Do you say that they promise to meet each other at the dam? I think I know where it is. Minnie particularly loves to go to a dam at the back of her previous middle school. According to her, it is very peaceful there.”

We immediately plan out what we should do. I buy a recorder with me to record all the conversations that we can use as the evidence of the crime.

We get back to home as fast as we can so that I can change my clothes. We are in such a hurry that we do not notice there is Junhyung at the kitchen. I am quite surprised to see him there.

“Hello, T. Earlier, I thought that I heard you talking with someone. Is there anyone else in this house?”

I suddenly remember that I forget to wear my earphones after I finish changing my clothes. Hyunseung sighs.