Chapter Six

She has raked her hands through her hair for the umpteenth time from nerves festering inside of her. She hasn't been able to accomplish one damn thing after she left the station this morning and she knows her work is starting to pile up. Her heels have been nervously tapping against the marble floor beneath her desk, agitated by the ticking of the clock as another minute inches closer for the deputy to show up in her office.

She does not want to see her again, she doesn't want her to show up in her office and confuse her mind and life any further.  Yet, the longing she feels for this woman is slowly starting to outweigh her logical thinking. She knows she needs to tell Emma that whatever she is going to propose, cannot happen. It's just that she hasn't felt this way in such a very long time.

When Emma's around, it's as though she can finally breathe. She honestly feels alive again because for the past fifteen years, she has felt like a zombie in the romance department. She thought she would never feel this way again after Daniel passed away, so eventually, she came to terms with that emptiness that haunted her from within.

When Graham stepped into her life, he was so kind, gentle, and loving and she thought just maybe she  could learn to fall in love with him. And she did love him, just not with the same passion she felt with Daniel. Something always felt off, like there was still a chunk of her heart missing but she always chalked it up to grief.

She hasn't known Miss Swan for too long but she stirs up emotions in Regina's heart that lead her to believe that maybe she settled with Graham. Emma sparks a fire inside of her that she swore would never light again and it's insane but after so many years living in the cold, she craves that burning heat again.

She releases a shaky breath, glancing up at the clock on the wall, noting that it's exactly six o'clock. She jumps up from her seat, gathering her work to bring home because if she can leave her office now she can claim to have waited until six but needed to leave. That way Emma can't really be angry.

Just as she's about to round her desk, there are three heavy knocks against the door.

"Dammit," she grumbles to herself, her shoulders  slumping in defeat knowing she has to go through with this awkward conversation. "Come in," she bitterly calls out, tossing her bag back onto the desk.

The Deputy strolls so casually into her office with her head held high, reeking of confidence, from being able to seduce two orgasms from her. And Regina really, really wants to be seething mad but just seeing those beautiful green eyes has her body thrumming for another. A burst of heat disperses through her veins and suddenly it is way too hot in her office.

Miss Swan struts over with her hands in her back pockets, appearing so damn smug and sexy. The moment she is standing right in front of Regina, she turns on her heels with a devious smirk and strides over to the sofa. Her heart is slamming into her chest so severely that she cannot find any words to say to this damn woman.

"Come take a seat, Regina," Emma says, patting the cushion beside her.

Regina rolls her eyes, shaking her head in annoyance as she stomps her way over to the couch. She elegantly perches herself next to the Deputy; crossing her ankles and pulling her dress as far down her thighs as possible. She rests her hands in her lap to calm her jittery nerves and then glances at the woman next to her. There's a subtle, yet very fresh, clean scent that lingers in the space between them and she can't help but wonder if Emma sprayed herself with some sort of perfume after she left, so they wouldn't get caught.

"So, I'm Regina now?"

"Yes, we aren't having sex, are we?" She quips as if the question is rhetorical.