Chapter Nineteen

"Regina, darling," her mother sadly coos as she stands in the glow on her front porch, waiting for Regina and Henry in the late evening.

She opens the back door and grabs the bags, handing Henry his own. He swings the bag over his shoulder and stares aimlessly at the ground as his heavy feet stomp to her mother's house.

It took him a while to settle down in the car ride over there. She quickly learned the harder she tried to help the situation and talk to him, the harder he cried. So eventually, she shut her mouth and sat in silence the rest of the way. She's never felt more defeated and exhausted in her life.

"Henry," Cora gasps, pulling him into a bone-crushing hug as she cradles his head.

"Hi, grandma," he mumbles into her shoulder while Regina keeps a safe distance.

She knows he is furious with her and he just needs time and space right now to process.

"Come on, dear," her mother coos, wrapping an arm around his shoulders and guiding him into her house. "I just made fresh apple turnovers."

"You two go on in, I have a few phone calls to make," she explains.

Her mother glances over her shoulder and nods before they disappeared inside. Regina sighs, scrubbing a hand down her tired face. She pulls out her phone and calls her receptionist first because she knows it will be the quickest and the easiest call for her to make.

"Hello, Mayor Mills' office. How may I assist you?"

"Hello, Ivy, it's Mayor Mills. I am not going to be in at all this weekend. So, you may leave for the weekend as well but before you go, I need a favor."

"Yes, Mayor Mills?"

"Do you still have the application for Lacey French?" She inquires, listening as her assistant opens her drawer and rifles through some papers.

"Yes, Mayor Mills, I have it right here."

"Perfect. Can you please call her and schedule an interview with her Monday...late afternoon?"

"Of course," Ivy answers politely, bringing a soft smile to her face knowing she has such a great assistant.

"Good, dear. Once you are finished, you may leave for the weekend. Make sure you lock everything up."

"Yes, of course. Thank you, Mayor Mills, have a nice weekend."

"You as well, Ivy," she sincerely responds before ending the call.

Now that she and Graham will be going through with the divorce, she needs to make sure that she is there for Henry at anytime. She won't have a husband to rely on anymore as back up, so Lacey French seems like her best option as Deputy Mayor. Her academics are very impressive along with her recommendations. She just hopes she is still available.

She inhales a deep breath before scrolling through her contacts and calling the next person on her list.

"Hey, Regina? Ready to talk," Ruby playfully teases through the line and she instantly feels her stomach double over but she needs to tell her best friend the truth.

"Hey," her voice fails her, cracking on the simple little word.

So, she shakes her head and clears her throat but her anxiety about the whole situation is beginning to swallow her whole.

"What's wrong? Did the session with Graham not go as well as you hoped?" Ruby investigates with so much love in her voice that she feels like bursting into tears that very moment.

Subconsciously, she starts pacing the back of her mother's house, no destination in mind, she just needs to keep moving to alleviate all this pressure building inside of her.