Chapter 1

Enderland

Chapter 1

The sun is rising, a giant egg yolk in the sky. The sky looks like a child spilled pink, orange, red and yellow paints all over it. It is almost clear, with hardly any clouds. The few clouds that do float in the sky blend in with the rest, making them almost translucent. I slip my iPhone out of my back pocket and snap a quick picture. I must take a picture of everything unique about Gwinn, because I may never be here again. I walk in the middle of the lonely road to Emily's house. It is 6:00 AM, and all of the town is quiet and still. The only sound other than the chirping of the birds, is that of my Vans against the pavement. I turn onto Emily's street and see her sitting on her front lawn, pulling at blades of grass.

"Hey." I say, approaching her.

"Hi Providence." She replies with out looking up. I sit down next to her.

"So. You wanted to tell me something?" I sigh.

"Yeah. Well, give you something, actually."

Emily looks up this time, and I can see her features clearly. Her long hair falls around her face. Emily is tan, which is an unusual, but pretty, combination with her pure blonde hair. Her eyes are dark blue, another unusual thing. Emily's lips are thin and pink. She has a nice shape, and always dresses stylishly. No wonder she is one of the most popular girls in school. I am popular too, I think, being Emily's best friend, but I am not as pretty.

"Let me go get it." She adds, running into her house.

Emily and I have been best friends since the 6th grade, the first year of middle school. I'd known her before that, seeing as she lives just around the block, but I went to an all girl's private school in Marquette, and she went to the public school right here in Gwinn. Private school wasn't working out for me. I know it sounds cliché, but everyone there was snobby and smart, where I didn't care the slightest bit about grades and was constantly complaining about my uniform. My parents decided to switch me to public school after I finished elementary. That was where I really got close to Emily, and we have been inseparable ever since.

But now I am moving far, far away from my small town of Gwinn. I am moving to a small town in Scotland, Drexel, I think my mom called it. Emily comes sprinting out of the house, a wrapped box in her hand. She is grinning like a madman. I giggle. "Don't look so happy, I'm moving to another country. Her smile fades. "Thanks Prov, wait to ruin my good mood."

"You were happy for a few seconds," I retort.

"Whatever," she sighs thrusting the box into my hand.

We sit down and I carefully unwrap the gift. Inside is a small silver box, and I instantly know that there is jewelry in side. I open it up and am stunned by what I see. An infinity necklace. It is beautiful.

"Infinity Friendship." Emily says with a crooked smile and a shrug. I grin and wrap my arms around her. "You are so cheesy!" I giggle, but I can't believe she did that for me.

"I have one too," She lifts the necklace around her neck.

There is an awkward silence. This is the part when we are supposed to say good bye. This is the part when we tell each other that we will visit and call and text, but this is also the part where we both of realize our friendship will fade.

A tear dribbles down my cheek. "We will text and call and Skype everyday. Right?" Emily suggests.

"Yeah." I nod grimly.

"Best friends forever. Forever and ever." She reminds me.

I nod again. I can't look her in the eye. She sticks her pinkie out, and I wrap my pinkie around it. "Pinkie swear." I say softly.

"I should go." I say.

"Okay. I love you, girl." She says, embracing me in a tight hug.

"Love you too." I take off, and try my hardest not to look back.

~

I stare at the empty area that I once called my "room". It is hardly recognizable. The only thing left to comfort me are the walls, painted mint green and turquoise, my two favorite colors. I can envision my room in my head. I had some band posters plastered on my walls. My comforter was mint green, my pillows matched. The bed was small and white and felt like a cloud. My closet was painted white, and was very small. I hated that. It's funny, I hated that stupid closet so much, and now I am starting to miss it. My desk was white and a little to large for my room. I filled mason jars with pencils and pens, and sometimes flowers. I had a mirror on the back of my door, which I had bordered with flowered duck tape. I sit down on the hard wood floor, which is no longer covered by my fluffy blue rug, and think of the night my parents told me we were moving.

~flashback~

"Your Aunt Karen isn't doing so well." My mom said.

"Oh. How's that?" I asked.

I'd never met my Aunt Karen before, she had moved to Scotland before I was born. My mom and dad went to see her every few years. I had never gone though.

"She has Lung Cancer. She used to have a smoking addiction, when she was younger, many years ago. "

"Oh. I'm sorry." It's not that emotional for me, but I know it is for mom. "Are you going to visit her again?"

My mom and dad exchange a nervous glance.

"It may take a long time for her to recover. A year, even." My dad starts. "We want to by her side the whole time." He says, as if he is trying to lighten up bad news.

What don't I know?

"So, your mother and I decided...WE'RE MOVING TO SCOTLAND!" He exclaims.

~end of flashback~

I had taken the news so hard. I screamed and cried and swore at them. "Honey, let's go!" My mom cried from down stairs.

"Coming," I sighed, taking one last look at my empty room.

Goodbye.