Chapter 10. DIY Life Hacks & Fun Facts

181. Fun Fact: In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes. When you pulled on the ropes that mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase "Goodnight, sleep tight."

182. Fun Fact: Cocaine was sold to cure sore throat, neuralgia, nervousness, headache, colds, and sleeplessness in the 1880s.

183. Fun Fact: 95% of people feel uncomfortable when the TV volume is an odd number.

184. Fun Fact: The earth is presently inhabited by 1.4 million species of animals and 500,000 species of plants.

185. Fun Fact: In 1945, a computer at harvard malfunctioned and Grace Hopper, who was working on the computer, investigated, found a moth in the one of the circuits and removed it. Ever since, when something goes wrong with a computer it's said to have a bug in it.

186. Fun Fact: The dot above the "i" is called a tittle.

187. Fun Fact: A fetus starts to develop fingerprints at the age of 8 weeks.

188. Fun Fact: In the USA - more toilets flush at the half time of the Super Bowl than at any other time of the year.

189. Fun Fact: The ten most popular dogs (AKC, 2007) are in order: Labrador Retriever, Yorkshire Terrier, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Beagle, Boxer, Dachshund, Poodle, Shih Tzu, and Bulldog.

190. Fun Fact: The average human eye blinks an average of 4,200,000 times a year.

191. Fun Fact: Chewing gum was created by the Mayans over 300 years ago. They boiled the sap of the sapodilla tree and chewed it.

192. Fun Fact: The U.S. is the leading producer of strawberries and supplies about 20% of the world's strawberries.

193. Fun Fact: Did you know the Amazon rainforest produces half of the world's oxygen supply?

194. Fun Fact: Koalas almost never drink water. They get fluids from the eucalyptus leaves they eat.

195. Fun Fact: If you take your age and multiply it by 7, then multiply by 1,443 the product repeats your age three times.

196. Fun Fact: Mexico City is sinking at a rate of 6-8 inches a year because it's built on top of an underground reservoir. Wells are drawing out more and more water from the city's growing population of more than 15 million people.

197. Fun Fact: It's considered rude to tip in Iceland.

198. Fun Fact: The (#) symbols is often referred to as a "number sign" or "pound sign." It's actually name is an octothorpe.

199. Fun Fact: Benjamin Franklin had poor vision and needed glasses to read. He got tired of constantly taking them off and putting them back on, so he decided to figure out a way to make his glasses let him see both near and far. He had two pairs of spectacles cut in half and put half of each lens in a single frame. Today, we call them bifocals.

200. Fun Fact: The world's longest name is: Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver.